BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a prominent international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria. IRC has ECHO, OFDA, and Gates funds to respond to health, nutrition, GBV, and WASH activities. In September 2014, IRC received additional funds to carry out emergency food distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions to newly displaced IDPs. IRC also received funds to carry out a child protection rapid assessment and program start up activities.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The GBV Coordinator will be responsible for general management of WPE programs, provision of technical support, donor compliance and contribute to the development of WPE programming in Nigeria. The GBV Coordinator will be based in Yola, Adamawa state with frequent and regular travel in Abuja and potentially elsewhere as programs expand.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Utilize IRC’s GBV program tools and approach developed for GBV programming in Adamawa
- Develop program work plan and activities consistent with the goals and objectives of the program.
- Provide training, mentoring and support to staffs partners in order to strengthen local capacity and sustainability
- Supervise psychosocial support to survivors of GBV, including case management and referrals
- Provide oversight and monitor GBV project activities to ensure all activities are safe, gender-sensitive, and client-centered, in accordance with international standards
- Compile monthly data using GBV Information Management System
- Provide managerial oversight to GBV staff
- Create linkages between the different components of IRC Nigeria program with a view to integrating the components into the overall strategy
Program Design & Development
- Work with the technical unit to design the GBV strategy for the IRC Nigeria program and monitor its implementation
- In collaboration with others sectors, assist in conducting needs assessments, identifying new program opportunities and supporting emergency projects
- Assist with the coordination and the development of new proposals and initiatives
- Maintain ongoing relations with, donors, bilateral and multilateral coordination bodies, and relevant government institutions, community stakeholder.
- At the local level, represent IRC and liaise with local authorities, UN, and international and national NGOs to facilitate successful coordination of activities and ensure transparency, accountability.
- Collaborate with other sectors to monitor the situation in the targeted communities and respond to any GBV related issues
- Provide updates on the program, discuss emerging challenges, and collaborate on the design of new programs or changes to existing programs
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship and coordinate with County authorities, relevant international and local agencies engaged in similar activities.
- Advocate quality GBV prevention and response services and the integration of protection and gender considerations in other sectors to promote risk reduction among beneficiaries.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Masters Degree in Social Work, Public Health, International Human Rights, or other related field
- At least 2 years experience working on violence against women and girls,, protection, gender or human rights related project / conflict fragile/ complex context environment
- Strong organizational, strategic, analytical, and writing skill
- Good knowledge of violence against women and girls international best practices, including IASC GBV Guidelines, Caring for Survivors, SOPs
- Excellent work experience in training facilitation, mentoring and capacity development
- Diplomacy and assertiveness; the ability to confront and discuss sensitive issues with respect
- Demonstrated experience in project design and monitoring
- Strong coordination skills with proven ability to work across multiple sartorial areas simultaneously, supporting and mentoring multiple staff members
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, Email, etc) and data management.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work remotely in coordinating and managing GBV activities in multiple sites
- Ability to work independently as a strong team player with proven supervisory skills
- Familiar with the issues and cultures in Northern Nigeria
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment
- Highly motivated hands-on self-starter, ability to work independently and has ability to incorporate and open to constructive feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to changing responsibilities or needs as they arise
- Willingness to frequently travel and live in remote and security difficult situation
- Cultural and gender sensitivity is essential
- Additional qualities: flexibility, ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise
- Team player
- Ability to work under pressure in challenging working and living conditions
- Excellent written and oral English skills
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.