Career Opportunity in a Big Sugarcane Farms
Posted on: 3 December, 2014
Deadline: 15 December, 2014
View Jobs in Agriculture / Agro-Allied
View Jobs posted same day
A big Sugarcane farms based in Abeokuta, Ogun state is seeking to employ suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
- We urgently require the service of an enthusiastic Farm Manager for our sugarcane farms in Abeokuta Ogun state western part of Nigeria
- Duties will include all aspects of the day to day running of the farm encompassing, but not limited to cultivation and agronomy of sugar cane, harvesting, labour management, minor repairs / maintenance, strategic planning, budgeting and record keeping.
- Other include:
- planning and coordinating the production and marketing of sugar cane from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- selecting and planting seeds, seedlings and bulbs, and grafting new varieties to root stocks
- maintaining crop production by cultivating, de-budding and pruning, and maintaining optimal growing conditions
- organizing and conducting farming operations, such as collecting, storing, grading and packaging produce, and organizing the sale, purchase and dispatch of produce
- directing and overseeing general farming activities such as fertilizing and pest and weed control
- maintaining farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, monitoring market activity, and planning crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- managing business capital including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors
- In order to be considered for this position, applicants will need to have relevant farm management experience with a solid track record and the ability to work independently
- Reporting directly to the Managing Director, he will be responsible for all farming operations including key establishment, operational and maintenance aspects of the farms.
The candidate will have the following skills:
- Hold a Masters Degree in Agronomy / Agriculture Sound agronomic skills with proven expertise in the development of sugarcane crop.
- An expatriate with valid Nigeria Residence work Permit
- A thorough understanding of farming systems in the West African.
- Proven experience in management of food crops in rotation with sugarcane and ability to enhance yields and sucrose contents.
- Comfortable with budgeting, performance measurement and financial reporting.
- Capable of making sound management decisions in complex and changing scenarios.
- Good understanding of cane varieties, soil science, plant nutrient and fertilizers, pest and weed control, and irrigation systems.
- Managing and training the farm staff as a Team Leader
- Managing and maintaining farm machinery
- Crop management Ensuring and increasing ongoing profitability
- Creating budgets and forecasts
- Train his replacement in 5 years time
- This is a unique and rare opportunity for the right person to join a corporate group involved in manufacturing of sugar, poultry feed, commercial poultry farming, dairy farming.
- Offer an internationally acceptable package to the right person holding any nationality.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their curriculum vitae (not more than 3 pages) in Microsoft word or pdf to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Similar Jobs
- Corporate Brand Officer at Saro Africa International
- Financial Controller- Farms at a Leading Agribusiness Company - ManpowerGroup Middle East
- Poultry Manager at Efugo Farms
- Job Vacancies at Welcome2Africa International
- Latest Job Openings at Tomato Jos
- Field Sales Representative – Animal Nutrition and Health Care Solutions at AMO Group
- Noiler Manager Rural Female Farmers Empowerment at AMO Group
- Production Technologists/Process Engineers at Aquada Development Corporation