Vacancy at The University of Lagos Holding Company (UNIHOLD)
Posted on: 27 November, 2014
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Sales / Retail
View All Jobs at University of Lagos
Our client, The University of Lagos Holding Company (UNIHOLD) is a fully registered private limited liability company with several subsidiaries, including, University of Lagos Ventures Limited, University of Lagos Press & Bookshop Limited and the University of Lagos Pharmaceutical Limited.
The aim of each subsidiary is to maintain and promote vigorous and sustainable growth based on delivering a high quality service to its clientele.
Due to restructuring, UNIHOLD is looking to recruit an Accountant to be responsible for the hotel’s accounting and financial management requirements; managing the accounting department and procurement function.
The challenges are fresh, the atmosphere is high energy and the growth opportunities are endless. Are you versatile and cool under pressure? Does your “can do” attitude prevail over a fast-paced work environment? We are on the look out for you.
- Maintain proper and complete accounting records.
- Ensure that the accounts, records and transactions are accurate and correct at all times.
- Implement all necessary controls to safeguard assets.
- Prepare and interprete the financial statements and reports.
- Provide financial information to management as tools for maximizing profits and planning for the future. These reports which should stimulate management action.
- Compile, together with the other unit heads, budgets and forecasts covering all activities.
- Compile treasury/cash flow forecasts for the business.
- Ensure that the established controls and procedures in respect of the accountant’s areas of responsibility are being complied with at all times.
- Ensure that the hotel’s computer systems and their software are fully utilized, well safeguarded and properly maintained.
- Implement future changes/additions to the electronic data processing systems of the hotel.
- Ensure that there are, at all times, proper procedures and controls for all cashiers in the hotel.
- Ensure that there are, at all times, proper procedures and controls exist for purchasing, receiving, stores and requisitioning.
- Ensure that physical inventories of all supplies are being taken on a monthly basis and of all operating equipment on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure that the hotel complies with the established credit and collection procedures, with particular attention to front office, food and
- Check and approve expenditures (via purchase requests, expenditure approval forms and purchase orders) in accordance with established procedures.
- Approve and sign payments (via payment approval forms) in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensure that bank account statements are checked on a daily basis.
- Ensure that bank accounts are reconciled each month.
- Ensure that all revenue due to the hotel is properly accounted for and reconciled.
- Ensure that all receivables are collected within the hotel’s credit periods.
- Ensure that payments are properly calculated, authorized and
- paid on a timely basis to employees.
- Ensure returns, declarations and administration are properly handled concerning Inland Revenue, Pension Trustees and other relevant bodies.
- Ensure that proper deductions are made at all times for PAYE, NI, pensions and other relevant items.
- Ensure that proper records are kept for all inventory items.
- Ensure that payments and returns are made accurately and on a timely basis to Customs and Excise in respect of value added tax.
- Ensure that compliance is continuous and that refunds are appropriately kept for inspection by external bodies.
- Ensure that all revenue and expenditure are properly recorded in the general ledger.
- Ensure that all balances are reconciled on a regular basis.
- Ensure that disbursements made by the General Cashier are properly authorized and adequately supported by documentation.
- Ensure that the float of the General Cashier is verified daily.
- A minimum of 5 - 8 years post-NYSC relevant professional experience in accounting or audit related functions
- Practical use of Peachtree and Microsoft Excel
- A professional accounting qualification (ACA or ACCA)
- Proficient in Business Writing
- Knowledge of tax
- At least a 1-year previous experience from an Hospitality background will be advantageous
- Good leadership skills
- Interpersonal abilities
- Positive attitude and energy
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Positive, resilient and patient-risk taker
- Effective written and oral communication
- Willingness to learn
- Meticulous attention to details
- Commitment to achieving excellence.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about University of LagosSimilar Jobs
- Job Openings at Leventis Motors Limited
- Accountant at Hausba Smarthomes Limited
- Graduate NYSC Corper at Deola Sagoe Limited
- Retail Sales/Customer Service Executives at Timekeepers International Limited
- Graphic Designer at Great Brands Nigeria Limited
- Accountant at Hausba Smarthomes Limited
- Jobs at Montaigne Place
- Jobs at Precise Lighting