The Program to Build Leadership and Accountability in Nigeria's Health System (PLAN-Health) is a five-year (2010-2015) Leadership, Management and Sustainability (LMS) Associate Award. PLAN-Health builds on the prior and successful LMS Capacity Building Project. The project provides comprehensive, continuous institutional capacity-building and health systems strengthening support to civil society organizations and public sector institutions for improved HIV and other health services for Nigeria's vulnerable populations. Additionally, it aims to develop management and leadership skills and institutionalize these practices in the Nigerian health sector.
MSH is seeking Project Director candidates for the PLAN-Health project in Nigeria. Expertise in public health, capacity building of non-governmental and public institutions, and/or management and leadership is required. Work experience in Nigeria and extensive knowledge of the Nigerian health environment and the public and private sector is preferred.
The Project Director leads and manages the PLAN-Health project. S/he is accountable for project deliverables and results, and has full accountability and authority for the development, execution, and monitoring of the project, including (1) vision and technical strategy; (2) project management; (3) documentation and communication; (4) client(s) and stakeholder(s) relationships; and (5) coordination and synergy with other MSH projects, and collaboration with the MSH Country Representative and the Country Operations Management Unit (COMU). This accountability includes effective contribution to business and resource development activities, including strategic communication, positioning, intelligence gathering, and proposal development.
- Client expectations- Ensure achievement of contract/agreement goals (meeting or exceeding expected project targets and deliverables on time and within budget) as per contract/agreement and client(s) approved Results Framework and Performance Monitoring Plan.
- Project Management- Provide effective project management systems within MSH policies, guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures while ensuring local ownership, appropriateness and responsiveness.
- Relationships- Cultivate and maintain effective dialogue and relationships with project client(s), beneficiaries, partner(s), coworkers and other local and international stakeholders.
- MSH Interests- Safeguard MSH’s reputation by ensuring that financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity is maintained and strengthened.
Vision and Technical Strategy
- Develop and execute project’s Results Framework, Performance Monitoring Plan, Technical Strategy, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plan and annual project work plans as per contract/agreement requirements, approved budget and received obligations, MSH technical frameworks and standards, and Results Management Systems (RMS) guidelines.
- Implement a Financial Pipeline Tracking system for effective budget monitoring and cost control based on sound financial and accounting principles, MSH Standard Operating Procedures, and MSH and donor reporting requirements.
- Develop and adapt (as needed) project financial plan in line with contract/agreement budget and received obligations, technical strategy, work plan, and reporting requirements.
- Ensure contract/agreement implementation in compliance with contract/agreement clauses, MSH and donor policies, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure project staffing, structure and reporting relationships are aligned with project needs, local context and available resources.
- Manage human resources in accordance to MSH values, policies and guidelines, and implement an effective performance-management program focusing on results and individual accountability, including regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support.
- With support of Project Director Supervisor, develop technical assistance plan and budget.
- Documentation and Communication
- Ensure appropriate and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact and business development using a variety of communication strategies and media.
- Promote and facilitate staff participation in MSH’s Technical Exchange Network (TEN) and south-to-south exchanges.
- Ensure quarterly submission of project documentation to MSH’s central Institutional Memory System (IMS).
- Client(s) and other Stakeholder(s) Relationships
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Contribute to building MSH’s reputation by developing local and international networks to disseminate project results, attract talent and generate business.
- Other MSH Contribution
- Collaborate with the MSH Country Representative and participate as required in activities organized in the context of MSH Representation in country.
- Ensure harmonious collaboration with, and cost-effective use of, the Country Operations Management Unit (COMU).
- Collaborate with the Office of Strategic Development and Communications in aspects of business development, including strategic communication, intelligence gathering, positioning, proposal development, etc.
- Identify and track new business opportunities by communicating them to the relevant internal MSH stakeholders.
- Ensure effective project collaboration, coordination and internal partnerships with other projects, Centers and Offices to build synergies across programs for maximum impact.
- MPH or master’s level degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- Ten plus (10+) years of progressively responsible, related experience is required.
- Demonstrated subject-matter expertise in technical content relevant to the project.
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
- Prior experience and success in directing similar or larger international donor-funded projects Nigerian experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills.
- Familiarity with USG regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects.
- Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with project mission and vision.
- Track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with government agencies, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID, CAs, and donor organizations.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in English is required.
Method of Application
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.