Over the past 10 years, the UN Millennium Campaign has built an impressive array of partnerships with civil society on MDG advocacy and supported the creation of strong coalitions to create accountability for commitments at global, regional and country levels. The Campaign’s Africa regional team works with citizens in key constituencies – civil society organizations, parliamentarians, local authorities, youth, media and the private sector. The Campaign focuses its work on MDGs 1-7 primarily in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Senegal, Mozambique, Zambia and Malawi.
In Nigeria, the Campaign working with its civil society partners have developed a National Strategy which will shape the work of the Campaign from 2011-2015. This is also in addition to an Advocacy and Communication Strategy which has been developed under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator and working with the UN Communications Group (UNCG). Under the leadership of the Resident Coordinator, the Millennium Campaign is working to develop a UN System-wide advocacy in Nigeria which will deepen the work of the United Nations on the MDGs in Nigeria and strengthen partnership with key stakeholders including civil society, media, the legislature, faith based and traditional institutions.
The Millennium Campaign has recently being a beneficiary of a generous contribution from the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to strengthen MDGs advocacy and campaigns in Nigeria and across Africa. It is expected that this contribution is received annually.
In order to strengthen its program capacity in Nigeria, the UN Millennium Campaign is seeking to recruit a Program Consultant to provide administrative and programmatic support to the National Coordinator of the Campaign and the Nigerian program. The initial duration of this contract will be 3 months.
PROGRAMME CONSULTANT TO PROVIDE PRAGMATIC, ADMINISTRATIVE AND LOGISTICAL SUPPORTS- UN MILLENIUM CAMPAIGN
Duties and Responsibilities
- sist the Campaign and its partners in the implementation of project activities, such as workshops, meetings, press events, and training including liaison with partners, counterpart agencies, at appropriate levels, to ensure cooperation/coordination of program activities and alert supervisors on problems and opportunities arising during implementation;
- Assist the National Coordinator and the African Team in the development of concept notes and other related materials for effective implementation of UNMC programs;
- Provide support in the coordination of advocacy and campaign activities within the UN Country Team and the emerging Thematic Group on the MDGs as well as the UN Communications Group where the Campaign is currently playing crucial roles;
- Carry out various administrative tasks in support of the National Coordinator and the Campaign’s programs, including managing correspondence, keeping appointments, arranging various meetings, project level procurement activities, and other related tasks.
- Develop and ensure the effective and efficient administration of program budgets and procurements;
- Ensure proper finance management, including liaising with UNDP Finance Unit in managing and disbursing program related funds.
- Process payment requests and documents in a timely manner for execution.
- Meeting deadlines and maintaining high-quality of output even while working under pressure;
- Good judgment and experience working in a multi-cultural setting are critical;
- Excellent communication / organizational skills, attention to details;
- Ability to operate personal computers, corporate and commercial software applications and databases such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Internet;
- Ability to quickly learn corporate software applications is essential including Atlas, IPSAS;
- Knowledge of UNDP/UN finance and administrative procedures;
- The highest standards of integrity and discretion are essential.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in finance or business related fields, social sciences, public administration, law or relevant discipline is required.
- At least Five years work experience in development;
- Good knowledge of UN system, procedures and activities for development.
- Considerable Experience in UN Coordination, MDGs Advocacy and working in multi-level partnerships.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale