Position Title: Program Officer
Duty Station: Gombe
Position Category: Full-time, Part-time & Regular Temporary
Salary Level: 3
Current Employee: New Position
Mercy Corps is starting a new emergency response program in Gombe state. This one-year program will incorporate relief work and livelihood in order to support displaced people and host communities in Gome State. To support activities, Mercy Corps is looking for talented and dedicated Program Officer.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under supervision of Program Coordinator, the Program Officer provides day-to-day oversight of all aspects of Program implementation and its wide range of activities. S/he will make sure that all activities are delivered according to the workplan and implementation strategies. Successful candidate will be able to trouble shoot and provide any necessary support. Program Officer will be responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with communities, partners and other project stakeholders, so to ensure transparent beneficiary targeting, smooth and timely implementation of all project activities: distributions, trainings and other. S/he is an effective communicator, dedicated to the community work, willing to travel to the field and is able to work with a diverse team to achieve common objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contribute towards implementation of the plan of action for humanitarian response program according to the guidelines and schedules set by the Program Manager and Program Coordinator
- Ensure all program activities are implemented in coordinated and timely manner.
- Ensure all aspects of distribution are managed according to Mercy Corps and donor regulations. This includes the creation of distribution plans and distribution monitoring plans that are in line with internal Mercy Corps procedures, budget and timeline.
- Coordinate selection, agreements and support to local communities for successful capacity strengthening activities.
- Guide Program Assistants to ensure that beneficiary lists are maintained based on established selection criteria.
- Work with local communities to construct distribution mechanisms that are contextually appropriate and efficient.
- Work with local communities to promote the concept of savings, facilitate the formation of savings and loans groups
- Work with beneficiaries on defining alternative livelihoods strategies
- Sensitize and mobilize target communities for effective implementation of program activities
- Work closely with M&E team to plan and conduct all necessary post distribution monitoring.
- Work closely with technical unit to ensure high quality activities delivery
- Assist the program team in launching new assessments.
- Assist with the sharing of lessons learned and good practices for dissemination within Mercy Corps and to other agencies and interested parties.
- Work closely with target communities on beneficiary registration and mobilization process, ensuring that the process is transparent and inclusive;
- Mobilize and sensitize target communities; work closely with community volunteers, providing regular support to their community outreach activities
- Develop weekly movements and activities plans
- Submit weekly activity reports and maintain daily communication with the supervisor
- Provide day-to-day supervision and support to the program assistants
- Coordinate with local government structures to ensure coordination during distributions and other activities
- Ensure community support for programs, and minimize conflicts around product distribution.
- Work closely with M&E team to design, plan and implement effective monitoring and evaluation systems to capture impact and ensure that the program is responsive to opportunities and challenges.
- Document lessons learned and submit regular field reports to the Program Coordinator or Program Manager
- Regularly coordinate with other Mercy Corps program, administrative and financial staff, local partners, government officials, community stakeholders in relation to the distribution of the program products or other program activities
- Represent Mercy Corps, in coordination with the Program Manager or Program Coordinator to local partners, community groups and local administration; participate and/or facilitate coordination and collaboration with other agencies implementing similar activities to avoid duplication and maximize sharing of lessons learned and tools.
- · Support and adhere to policies that maintain the safety and security of the team.
- · Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- · Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- . Other duties as assigned
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Program Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: field-based program, M&E and logistics and finance teams
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- · BA/BS or equivalent
- · At least 3 years of working experience, with minimum 1 year of supervisory experience.
- · Experience working with/mobilizing displaced populations and overseeing distribution of non-food, food items is a definite plus.
- · Experience with savings and loans groups; familiarity with VSLA schemes is highly desirable
- · Previous experience in livelihoods based approaches will be an asset
- · Previous field work experience from Gombe or neighboring states desirable
- · Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members in a cross cultural environment is required.
- · Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- · Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a team to achieve stated results and objectives.
- · Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- · Excellent oral and written English
- · Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- · Previous experience in insecure environments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Leadership and mentoring skills will be an asset
- Excellent planning and organizational skills are the must
- Must be a good team builder, with strong commitment to accountability towards beneficiaries
- Good sense of humor, able to effectively gather and involve people
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community work
- Willingness to travel and work with groups of various cultural, social, religious and ethnic background
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Good spoken and written English
- Knowledge and understanding of North-Eastern communities is necessary
- Fluency in Hausa required
- Excellent computer skills
Method of Application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV and Cover Letter, addressing the position requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications submission deadline: 14th of November 2014. Application must include Program Officer FFP the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity organization and we encourage women to apply to these positions.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.