During the recent years the bank has seen significant growth in its Equity Investments across sectors both in numbers of projects approved and amount of capital invested. The Bank takes equity stakes in private sector companies and other entities such as utilities, financial institutions, portfolio and investment funds in RMCs. Equity fits in the Bank’s Strategy to enhance inclusive growth and needs to be supported by adequate skills. The Bank invests directly in companies’ equity, and also through private equity funds. To ensure the participation of other private investors, the Bank generally subscribes not more than 25 percent of a project's equity. AfDB's equity investments are based on project needs and anticipated returns. The main objectives of the Position is to assist the Infrastructure & PPP division in: (i) Sourcing, analysing and assessing potential equity investments; (ii) Strong involvement in the entire investment process and from time to time also support Junior colleagues in every stage of the investment process; (iii) Have close contact with company management teams, to monitor the companies’ performance.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager the Principal Equity Investment Officer will:
- Participate in the planning and execution of promotion and project identification missions in selected RMCs in the various sectors in which the Bank is active.
- Participate in the preliminary evaluation of project proposals to assess their feasibility for financial assistance and/or technical support by the Bank.
- Participate in the planning and execution of appraisal and fact-finding missions. This includes developing terms of reference for the mission and for short-term consultants to be engaged for the mission; coordinating the work of the mission team which usually includes professional staff from other departments within the Bank; carrying out independent research on the investment climate, project sponsors, management, economic, financial, marketing, technical, environmental and legal aspects of the project.
- Prepare the preparation of project appraisal reports for presentation to the Department, the various review committees and finally to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that all conditions precedent have been fulfilled on a timely basis and all fees are billed and collected from clients.
- Process or oversee the first drawdown ensuring a smooth transition of primary responsibility for the transactions to the portfolio management team. Thereafter, assist the portfolio management team to ensure effective monitoring and supervision of the originated transactions in the portfolio.
- Develop relationships within the Bank and with other institutions involved in private sector development (exchange of information on projects, policies, operational experience etc., identification of co-financing opportunities, organization of joint promotional activities etc.).
- Represent the Bank at and participate in seminars, workshops and conferences dealing with private sector issues.
- Play an active role in coaching and mentoring more junior investment officers.
- Handle other ad hoc assignments as requested by the management team of OPSM.
- Analyse, screen and execute investments.
- Responsible in all aspects of the investment process, from due diligence to execution.
- Managing all aspects of a deal process and originating potential investments.
- Be current with all development on Equity and PE investments in Africa through training, monitoring of general news, sources and participation in external activities.
- Assist in developing proposals to address equity strategy, understanding, capacity and skills.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Banking or related areas. In addition, a Bachelor Degree in engineering, finance, law or economics will be an asset.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience.
- A background in equity investment and prior investment or financial experience.
- Knowledge of equity valuation methods in various sectors.
- Understanding of equity structures and key aspects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and /or French, and preferably with working knowledge of other language.
- Strong communications skills and teamwork attitude, ability to build partnerships and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interest of clients within and outside the institution.
- Sharp analytical and commercial judgment, spotting opportunities for value, and able to build deals around them.
- Ability to work independently and be creative and innovative.
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present with support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), and graphics software).
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale