In 2011, the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGoN), through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD), made a bold paradigm shift from a government-led endeavor towards treating agriculture as a business with private sector investment as a driver and the government as facilitator.
The Agriculture Transformation Agenda (ATA) aims to establish a sustainable agricultural sector in Nigeria that raises incomes of rural population whilst underpinning the national economy. For introducing and rolling out the ATA with its new approach in a short timespan, FMARD has requested expertise support from UNDP and BMGF.
The project provides expertise support in a number of key areas of ATA, especially on Agribusiness Development, Knowledge Management and M&E, Policy support and Organization & Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of UNDP/BMGF Project Management and direct supervision of the senior Advisors Agribusiness, KM and Policy, the Program Support consultant will ensure adequate reporting, knowledge sharing and support capacity development in critical areas. The consultant promotes a client, and results-oriented approach with accurate and high quality products.
- Support knowledge generation, synthesis, sharing and partnership building on Policy, KM/M&E and Agribusiness Development;
- Support capturing and sharing of good practices of FMARD and partners in ATA;
- Support capacity development activities in key area;
- Support implementation of various activities in key areas including organization of meetings, workshop and report;
- Support reporting to donor agencies;
- Support the preparation of work plans for the various areas;
- Support project interaction and prepare minutes of meetings;
- Assist with progress tracking;
- Elaboration of proposals, work plans;
- General administrative assistance to Senior Advisers on Agribusiness, KM and
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open and effective communication;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Supporting informed and transparent decision making in UNDP and GoN systems;
- Diplomatic skills and behavior;
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver high-quality products in time;
- Accurate and organized mode of working;
- Ability to interact effectively with different stakeholder groups.
ATA approach, policy and program
- Clear understanding of the vision and main components of ATA (Agribusiness, KM, Policy and Value Chains) and the roles of the various stakeholders (government, privates sector, research and farmers and donors);
- Clear understanding of the Policy and Program cycle as well as the KM and Learrning cycle;
- Clear understanding of investment life cycles, investment facilitation and communication strategy;
- Clear vision on the comparative role and contribution of information and knowledge for the various stakeholder groups;
- Clear understanding of the potential of KM to effectively support sustainable development processes; up-to-date knowledge of knowledge sharing systems and methods.
Reporting and Administration
- Strong analytical skills and reporting skills, both oral and written;
- Ability to review, edit and critique peer reports;
- Familiarity in working with national UN systems and/or ATA a clear advantage;
- Familiarity with financial processes , procurement and project administration.
University degree in development-related areas as development policy, business development, knowledge management, communication, media and environment
- Over 5 years work experience in support of strategic policy programs and/or work processes;
- Demonstrated skills in use of on-line systems for reporting and M&E, knowledge sharing use of media;
- Private/public sector and/or Development Partners work environment;
- Experience with knowledge sharing through face-to-face meetings, hardcopy and on-line media especially on-line knowledge systems.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.