VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
We are currently looking for a dynamic, proactive and results-oriented person to join the Nigeria Country Office team to coordinate programme activities in the South West cluster. S/he is responsible for programme and project development in line with the country strategy. This includes the development and management of partnerships with civil society and government organisations, with the support of national and international volunteers. This position requires proactive engagement with volunteers, partners and relevant stakeholders to realise our strategic objectives in three thematic areas; education, secure livelihoods and youth participation in governance. S/he will ensure gender mainstreaming in all our work, and will be the primary contact for the selection and placement of volunteers with partners in the cluster. The position will be based in Lagos and will report to the Head of Programs.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
1. Passion and commitment to significantly impact on the lives of marginalised young men and women in Nigeria.
2. Excellent understanding of development challenges and in-depth knowledge of civil society organisations in the respective Cluster/ Nigeria.
3. Understanding of project cycle management tools and ability to effectively plan, implement and review programmes.
4. A university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications
5. Strong demonstrable skills in program/project development and proposal writing.
6. Working knowledge of budgeting and financial management in the context of project planning/management.
7. Significant experience, minimum of 4 years, in a similar role with other INGOs/National NGOs having a good track record of contributing to significant impact on the marginalised.
8. Experience working on projects and programs relating to education, secure livelihoods and youth participation in governance.
9. Excellent oral and written communication skills and analytical skills; Excellent planning and organizational skills.
10. Ability to adapt to new and demanding situations and work independently or with limited supervision.
11. Experience in networking, partnership development and multi-stakeholder engagement for a common purpose.
12. Willingness to travel extensively within the Cluster (Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Oyo and Kwara).
13. Experience living and working in South West Nigeria.
14. Possession of a valid Nigerian driver's license and ability to drive.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and seeks to have a diverse workforce, and therefore welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. While we respect all candidates, we can only respond to short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit http://vso.force.com/jobopportunities to complete an online application and submit the following:
1. Cover letter demonstrating evidence of your suitability for this role
2. CV / Resume
Closing Date: Monday, 27 October 2014, 17:00 GMT.
Application closing date: 27 Oct 2014
Interview/Assessment date(s): 3/11/14
Start date: November 2014