|VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, skilled and efficient Finance Officer to provide support to the Country Office. This position will be based in Abuja, and reports to the Finance Manager.
Support the Country Finance Manager in effectively managing the finances (including budgets) of the Country Office.
Be a reference point on financial matters in the Country Office.
Be able to advise on VSO Volunteer allowances arrangements covering Volunteers and the Country Office.
Ensure adherence to finance policies set globally and locally.
Liaise with other Country Offices to provide inputs for multi-country programmes of work.
Support the Country Finance Manager in preparing the annual budget and Country Office input into the Quarterly Business Review process.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications and experience:
- At least 5 years practical experience in a similar role, preferably within an International Non-Government Organisation context;
- Technical Accounting Expertise – Part qualified Accountant, ideally studying to complete an accounting qualification. Degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
- Good technical accounting skills. Experience of financial planning, book keeping practice and principle, knowledge of internal controls, general ledger, cash management and reconciliations, payroll processing and taxation. Experience of financial reporting, measurement and analysis.
- Experience of rules and regulations for non-profit organisations. Knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
- Experience of working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
- Financial and Information Technology Systems – Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software, SUN Accounts system preferred.
- Communication and Influencing Skills – Good written and verbal communication skills - able to listen, present, discuss, report, put views forward and negotiate with confidence.
- Sensitivity to cultural and language differences and able to interact with people at all levels of the organisation.
- Able to work with others in a consultative way, ability to withstand and resolve conflict, negotiating professional solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills are essential, along with the capacity to work as an effective team player;
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Willingness to travel locally and ability to operate independently;
- Have a valid Nigerian driver's licence and be able to drive.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and seeks to have a diverse workforce, and therefore welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. While we respect all candidates, we can only respond to short-listed candidates.
Method of Application
To apply, please visit http://vso.force.com/jobopportunities to complete an online application and submit the following:
1. Cover letter demonstrating evidence of your suitability for this role
2. CV / Resume
Closing Date: Friday, 24 October 2014, 17:00 GMT.
Application closing date: 24 Oct 2014
Interview/Assessment date(s): 1st week of November
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.