RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners are implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) program.
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Services (E-WASH) Program, implemented by RTI International, is working to improve urban water and sanitation service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial and technical viability of state water boards (SWBs)/corporations in five states in Nigeria. The five states are Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger and Taraba. E-WASH is working towards achieving the following mutually reinforcing objectives:
Creating professionally managed and commercially oriented SWBs.
Improving the financial and operational viability of SWBs.
Strengthening policy, institutional and regulatory frameworks for improved WASH services (including establishing accountability mechanisms).
Building national and state WASH advocacy, coordination, and communications for reform.
The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
RTI International hereby invites applications from highly resourceful, motivated and experienced professionals to fill the position of Performance Monitoring Specialists (PMS) on the USAID EWASH program in Taraba State.
Performance Monitoring Specialists (PMS)-Taraba
The PMS will be responsible for monitoring all state level E-WASH activities including developing monitoring/progress reports and supporting quarterly/annual reports collation (e.g. quarterly SWB and Utility progress reports), routinely upload field-based data to EWASH Integrated Database Management System (IDMS) and provide timely Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) updates for onward reporting to USAID MEL Performance Reporting System (PRS). He/she will support the conduct of targeted state-specific field-based studies and research assessments to inform the development of KM/ Learning products.
Specifically, the PMS will:
- Work closely with the MEL Advisor and other team members to implement the programs MEL plan and systems.
- Support data collection, analysis, and interpretation. Work with utility M&E departments to review and adjust targets on a quarterly basis with the Department Managers for four quarters after the initial implementation of the Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs).
- Build capacity of program partners and transferring this responsibility gradually to the SWB and CSO M&E departments/personnel.
- Support the development of learning/KM products to highlight key research findings, implementation lessons and best practices identified during E-WASH program implementation.
- Facilitate the implementation of effective program MEL mechanisms on grants reporting, generating Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) reports for State Water Boards (SWBs) and Utilities including Civil Society Organization (CSO) monitoring to inform onward performance reporting to USAID.
- Work closely with respective E-WASH program and partner staffs to ensure timely upload of performance reporting data; robust grants monitoring and document reviews of SWB Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) benchmarking procedures.
- Work closely with the State Team Leader to identify issues in the state program and agree on the redress.
- Lead on activity monitoring, performance improvement, learning and adaptive management in the State.
- Actively participate in specialists’ meetings to ensure adherence to the set indicators and provide technical oversight.
- Collaborate with the Senior MIS Specialist to conduct field-based assessments and evaluations i.e. Data Quality Assessments (DQA), Collaboration Mapping, Updating Pivot Logs, Rapid Political Economy Analysis (PEA) and other rolling assessments to inform program learning and adaptive management measures.
- Ensure compliance with E-WASH Data Risk Mitigation Strategy and work alongside the MEL Manager and designated STTA/USAID representatives to conduct data quality assessments for performance indicators.
- Conduct of routine field visits and spot checks to support surveys (Household and GIS mapping) as well as inform the development of program reports i.e. Key Performance Indicators (KPI) reports, Grants Monitoring Reports (GMRs), Activity Monitoring Reports (AMRs) etc.
- Identify potential research areas of interests related to E-WASH program focus and work to develop evidence-based articles and publications.
- Handle additional ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned by the MEL Advisor or required by the E-WASH program.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a social science or education related field.
- A minimum of Master's Degree and 1 year of experience in measuring and evaluating governance or WASH-related programme or a Bachelor's Degree and 3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in measuring and evaluating governance or WASH-related programming.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant professional field and experience working on donor funded projects especially USAID would be most beneficial.
- Familiarity with robust grants reporting protocols (for CSEF grantees) and mobile data collection apps/tools (i.e. Kobo Toolbox, Magpi, CAPI, FS Mobile) for effective performance monitoring of donor funded projects.
- Strong technical skills in data management, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), survey and questionnaire design, household surveys and mapping, and/or conducting field-based assessment is required.
- Experience with mobile based data collection tools and grantee reporting is desirable. Skilled proficiency in Excel, Word, and other Microsoft (MS) Office software; data analysis software (such as Excel, SPSS or Stata).
- Experience in knowledge management and communications for outcome reporting including conducting research focused studies and assessments as a basis for developing learning/KM products (i.e. fact sheets, newsletters, outcome journals.
- Knowledge of USAID’s Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation (CLA) approach is beneficial.
Skills & Abilities
- Possess excellent organizational, analytical, oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to work well with a team.