Requisition ID: req14339
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014, the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations.
IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
Job Overview / Summary
- The main goal of the position is to transform attitudes and adjust health seeking behaviors through community mobilization, sensitization, advocacy, and health education.
- The position will be responsible for developing education, mobilization and sensitization activities and strategies related to health promotion for IRC health program in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
- He / She will also be the focal point for risk communication and community engagement in case of disease outbreaks and other events of public health importance.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Reproductive Health Manager, the responsibilities of the Senior Health Promotion Officer include but are not limited to the following:
SBCC Innovation and Development:
- Lead the development / review of health promotion and community mobilization strategies including the specific strategies to reach the hard-to-reach communities / populations.
- Work with the community mobilization team to designs and adapts health promotion / community mobilization work-plans that adapt the shifting needs and gaps in knowledge of communities. He / She supports in organizing culturally sensitive educational and promotional activities to improve community participation in health service provision and raise awareness on health / reproductive health services such as immunization, family planning, antenatal / postnatal care, hygiene promotion, STIs and other communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases,
- Lead the conduct of regular communities’ assessment: discussions, meetings, interviews, focus group discussions as to assess the needs and gaps in knowledge of the targeted communities.
- Support in formulating key advocacy targets and messages from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation.
- Contribute to proposal and strategy development through input on needs for health promotion and community engagement activities.
- Liaise with service providers at IRC / IRC- supported government facilities to ensure strong linkages between services and communities.
Grant Management and Program Support:
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the work plan and within the allocated budgets.
- Responsible for management of health promotion and community mobilization budget lines
- Manage sector procurement plan and follow up with supply chain to ensure timely delivery of the sector supplies.
- Contribute to BVA report and provide recommendations/interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
- Develop continuous education programs and build the capacity of community mobilisers, community volunteers, Community Health Influencers Promoters and Services (CHIPs) agent, and traditional birth attendant to deliver organizational objectives on SBCC including health promotion and community mobilization for service utilization SBCC.
- Routinely monitor supervised staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Supports in the administrative management of the team of Community Health Volunteers (CHVs), CHIPS and Traditional Birth Attendants (TBAs) (letters of agreement, payment of stipends, in-kind incentives etc.)
- Monitor staff daily attendance to duty posts and ensure time sheets are correctly filled and submitted monthly.
- Responsible for compiling and keeping records of all the health education/promotional sessions (number/ gender/ age segregated).
- Work with M&E team to analyze data on a weekly/monthly basis, feeds information back to the program, and adapts strategies accordingly.
- Ensure accurate project documentation, including collection of monitoring data and tracking of progress on output indicators; utilize data to contribute to reports as requested by management.
- Provide weekly/monthly activity reports to the sector.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues.
- Supervise and regular review and revise training manuals to maintain consistency with the acceptable protocols.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position reports to: Senior Reproductive Health Manager
- Position directly supervises community mobilization officers.
- Indirect Reporting: Health/Reproductive Health Managers, Senior Health Managers and Health Coordinator
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Health (Outreach Staff, Midwives, program managers) and other sectors (WPE, M&E, Governance, Finance, Supply Chain
- External: Other partners- NGO’s, MOH etc.
- University Degree or Higher Diploma in Social Sciences, Sciences, Health Education, Nursing or Community/Public Health or
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working with local communities in a Health/Reproductive Health project especially as health educator/community mobilizer or similar position.
- Experience working with displaced population is a plus.
- Familiarity with the local context in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe State.: language, culture, etc.
- Sensitivity and diplomacy to provide education on a variety of sensitive health/reproductive health topics.
- Excellent communication skills
- Basic computer Literacy including the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Have capacity to remain productive while working under pressure.
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize tasks, respect and adheres to deadlines.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Ability to work both independently, as part of a team and lead teams.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Competitive Monthly salary
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family
- Annual earned leave days
- Pension scheme.