Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Custodians of African Literature (COAL) is a nonprofit that empowers children ages 5-14 and youth ages 15-29 through alternative education and literary development. We believe that being able to just read and write is the first step in preparing a young person for success, and books have the propensity to make children and youth better thinkers, writers, ...
Read more about this company
We are seeking a dedicated and experienced Project Officer to join the Custodians of African Literature. The Project Officer will play a crucial role in managing and implementing projects related to promoting African literature and supporting young creatives. This position requires strong creative, organizational and communication skills, as well as a passion for African literature, literacy development and socio-cultural exchange.
As a Project Officer, you will play a crucial role in planning, organizing, and executing various literary projects and initiatives. Your primary responsibility will oversee the successful completion of projects aimed at promoting literacy, supporting writers, and engaging the literary community. You will collaborate with internal teams, external stakeholders, and volunteers to ensure the efficient implementation of projects and the achievement of organizational goals.
The position will be based in Jos Metropolis with travels across project locations within Plateau State. The position will report to the Programme Manager.
Project Planning and Execution:
- Develop quarterly project plans, including activities, timelines, and resource requirements.
- Coordinate with the team to identify project deliverables and ensure timely implementation of tasks.
- Monitor project progress, identify potential issues, and implement corrective actions.
- Ensure project activities are executed within the allocated budget and timeline.
- Regularly communicate project updates to stakeholders and provide progress reports.
- Collaborate with schools, writers, authors, literary agents, and other key stakeholders to promote creativity in the African literary scene.
- Liaise with partner organizations, sponsors, and funders to foster strong relationships and secure necessary resources.
- Coordinate with volunteers and other stakeholders to foster a vibrant literary community.
- Organize and manage literary events such as school creative workshops, open mics, book reading, literary campaigns, and literary festivals.
- Coordinate logistics, including venue selection, event promotion, participant registration, and on-site management.
- Collaborate with internal teams and external partners to ensure successful event execution and a positive participant experience.
Outreach and Promotion:
- Develop and implement strategies to promote the organization's literary projects and initiatives.
- Manage the organization's social media presence, website content, and newsletters.
- Create and distribute marketing materials, press releases, and other communications to raise awareness and increase participation.
- Maintain project documentation, including project plans, progress reports, and budget records.
- Assist in budget preparation, expense tracking, and financial reporting.
- Support grant and funding applications by providing relevant project information.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as literature, communications, arts administration, or a related discipline.
- Proven experience in project management, preferably in the literary or arts sector.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in using project management tools and software.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and digital marketing techniques.
- Knowledge of the literary landscape, publishing industry, and emerging trends in literature.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Attention to detail and a proactive approach to problem-solving.
Experience: At least 2 years experience in a similar role preferably in education and the creative industry or development organization.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
The Project Officer will report to the Program Manager.
English (Fluency in Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba which is widely spoken across Nigeria would be an added advantage)