Location: Lagos - Corporate Office
Reports to: Head, Internal Audit
Division/Department: Internal Audit
(Please state why this role is required, how it fits into company strategy and ROI provided by virtue of this role.)
- This role is responsible for conducting and reporting on scheduled audits, key control testing, investigations and departmental projects. Assignments range from planning to execution of technical, compliance, financial and operational audits and special projects. The Internal Audit Associate acts as a mentor to others within audit areas of proficiency. S/he is responsible for fulfilling professional and organization responsibilities as outlined in the Internal Audit Charter, IIA code for the professional practice of Internal Auditing, NAICOM regulations and guidelines and other regulatory guidelines
Dimensions of the Job
(This should list if the person will be responsible for Opex, Capex, Volumes associated with job such as large customer accounts and possible loss/impact on the company if an error occurs.)
- Contact with internal and external customers, management, auditors, consultants, and advisors.
- Communicates effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct, leadership, teamwork, positive attitude, initiative and problem-solving skills.
Key Result Areas - Job Output (List the expected end results that must be achieved in order to fulfill the job purpose)
Tasks and Activities KRA’s (What are the key activities undertaken to achieve the desired end results?)
Internal Audit Strategy and planning:
- Implements Internal Audit strategy in alignment with the Corporate strategy
- Promotes an atmosphere that allow for independence, objectivity and excellence
- Assists in and contributes to the development and planning of the Annual Risk Assessment by identifying, assessing, and recommending solutions to key business risks. Communicates with management to identify key business risks, assesses those risks, and assists in updating the comprehensive internal audit plan and audit universe.
- Supports the Chief Internal Auditor (CIA) in design and implementation of an effective internal audit plan to review businesses activities around the operations of the Company and ensures timely reporting for management decision making.
- Evaluates the design and operating effectiveness of the system of internal controls
- Evaluates adherence to established policies and procedures, and regulatory guidance and conducts test work as outlined in the audit work program.
- Utilizes judgment as to expansion of scope, further test work needed based on trends or exceptions identified.
- Review the management account in line with applicable IFRS
- Prepares work paper documentation to support test work performed and conclusions reached.
- Explains, clarifies or corrects documentation to clear any review notes generated by the department supervisory staff or audit lead personnel’s review of the work papers, conclusions and recommendations.
- Performs peer review of file documentations, providing coaching to less experienced colleagues
Audit Reporting and Follow-up:
- Ensure the integrity of Internal Audit reports and analysis by performing a review of work done by colleagues before submitting to the CIA.
- Prepares written audit reports to summarize the audit scope, control findings, recommendations and management commitments.
- Collate and prepares reports for submission to MANCOM (monthly) and Board Audit committee (Quarterly) prior to review by the CIA
- Ensures that all internal and external reports and exceptions are followed up Investigation and Policy confirmation as may be required or commissioned by management,
- Investigates fraud including but not limited to financial and underwriting related fraud.
- Other matters on a need-be basis.
- Performs third party confirmation of the authenticity of policies issued by the company and all other official documents.
Knowledge, Skills And Behaviour (Required to succeed in Role)
Educational Qualifications & Functional / Technical Skills:
- A degree (Bachelor’s degree) in Accounting, Numerate or related fields
- A professional qualification of ICAN, ACCA or CPA
- CIA, CISA desirable
- Highly ethical with the ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate significant information in a clear manner down, across and up the organization.
Relevant Experience (type of experience and minimum number of years):
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in performing financial, compliance or operational audits, or related-type work with at least 3 years spent at a top audit firm in external auditing
Attitude and Behavioral Traits:
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to details.
- Able to effectively coach, mentor and develop staff in areas of expertise.
- Is a self-starter and able to work independently; ensures work is accurate and completed in a professional manner.
- Ability to positively interface and work well with all levels of staff and management (auditees and own department).
- Possess a high level of understanding of audit theory and strong industry knowledge Insurance products, services, policies and procedures.
- Possess a working knowledge of relevant computer programs, i.e. Microsoft Access, Word, and Excel.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and prioritize.
- Possess communication skills – written and spoken.