African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Division Manager, Corporate Performance and Accountability Division - SNDR1
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092386
- The Senior Vice-President is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve it strategic objective, and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SVP will lead senior management discussions, decisions-making process and the implementation of key board and management decisions.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Department for Delivery, Performance Management and Results supports Senior Management in meeting AfDB’s development mandate, improving operational and corporate performance, accelerating the pace of delivery and increasing the Bank’s impact on development.
- The Corporate Performance and Accountability Division is responsible for establishing and maintaining corporate frameworks for assessing and tracking the Bank’s development effectiveness and performance. As part of its mandate, it also works to strengthen the Bank’s, external and internal, accountability for results and promotes a performance-oriented culture across the organisation.
- The manager of the Corporate Performance and Accountability Division is responsible for establishing and monitoring the work programme of the division. He will report to the Director of the Delivery, Performance Management and Results Department.
- The manager will be responsible for managing and implementing the four core activities of the Division:
- Establishing corporate metrics for measuring performance and development results , ensuring that accountabilities are clear and key performance indicators and scorecards are maintained to measure both outcomes and performance;
- Strengthening the Bank’s internal and external accountability by promoting a performance and results-oriented culture;
- Drawing lessons from independent internal and external evaluations by assessing and responding to evaluations with a view to improving the Bank’s performance, addressing critical issues, removing bottlenecks and improving business processes;
- Leading and coordinating the AfCoP secretariat and engaging with RMCs to build capacity to manage for development results.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Determining the objectives of the Division and establishing the work programme;
- Leading, motivating, communicating, guiding staff. It requires the manager to coach, assist, and problem solve with various staff.
- Monitoring implementation of the Division’s work programme and take any corrective actions where necessary to ensure that objectives are met;
- Advising the Director of the Department for Delivery, Performance Management and the Senior Vice-President on improving the Bank’s performance in key areas of the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework;
- Leading the Bank dialogue with other multilateral development banks with regards to mutual accountability frameworks, reporting on results, and other high-level global and corporate initiatives ( G7 etc.);
Establish a corporate framework for measuring performance & development results:
- Leading Bank-wide work for consolidating and updating the Bank Group’s Results Measurement Framework and including the development of appropriate metrics;
- In collaboration with SNDR-2, developing and improving methodologies for measuring performance and development impact;
- In collaboration with SNDR-2, designing an effective system of incentives by designing Key Performance Indicators that are aligned with the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework and corporate priorities
- Ensuring that the Bank adheres to the highest international standards on providing value-for-money to its stakeholders and reports transparently on its activities.
Strengthen accountability, promote a performance culture and extend outreach:
- Contributing to corporate efforts to develop formats, guidelines, policies, and systems (including a Bank-wide Results Reporting System) to strengthen the Bank’s capacity to report on and disseminate results throughout the project cycle;
- Providing the Bank’s stakeholders with an assessment of the Bank’s performance in meeting its development objectives through the publication of the Development effectiveness reviews: annual, thematic and country briefs;
- Engaging regularly with the Board of Directors on progress in implementing the Bank’s mandate and addressing challenges and corporate priorities.
- Providing support, and guidance to regional hubs on performance management and results;
- Conceptualising initiatives to improve the Bank’s practices on communicating results to a wider audience, contributing to improving understanding of the Bank’s activities (e.g. MapAfrica) and strengthening the Bank’s credibility as Africa’s premier development institution.
- Coordinating Bank-wide efforts to maintain Bank’s transparency commitments and accountability in the use of Bank’s resources, which includes regular publishing to IATI and the development of innovative tools to showcase Bank’s projects;
Draw lessons from independent and external evaluations:
- Coordinating Management responses to IDEV and external evaluations and the follow up and tracking of the implementation of commitments made by Management in response to these evaluations;
African Community of Practice (AfCoP) on Managing for Development Results:
- Leading and coordinating the AfCoP program and team;
- Engaging with Bank’s client countries to strengthen demand for evidence-based policy- making and reinforce capacity on managing to better plan, monitor and budget for development results.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of Master's degree in public administration, economics, international development, strategic communication, international relations or a related field;
- Preferably a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience and with a good mix of corporate and field level assignments;
- Established track record of assisting both internal and external clients to improve their capacity to deliver, monitor, and communicate development results;
- Dynamic, achievement-focused leader and manager with an established performance record;
- Demonstrated skills to combine strategic thinking with a good understanding on how to translate ideas into products in a participatory manner, navigating the shortest institutional way possible;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably SAP.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.