United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
Technical Adviser (De-risking Renewable Energy NAMA for the Nigerian Power Sector)
Starting Date (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 11th June, 2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 12 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 12 Months
- The energy sector is the largest source of GHG emissions in Nigeria, accounting for over 70% of the country’s total GHG emissions (155.34 MtCO2e in 2000). Over 85% of energy sector emissions emanated from fuel combustion activities, and the remaining from fugitive fuel emissions
- In response to this challenge, the Government of Nigeria has secured funding from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) for De-Risking Renewable Energy NAMA for the Nigerian Power Sector and achieve a transformation in the electricity supply mix such that at least 20GW of Nigeria’s electricity is generated from solar PV by 2030.
- Using a rigorous quantitative methodology based on UNDP’s De-risking (“DREI”) methodology, the project will develop NAMA architecture and enabling conditions through a combination of complementary policy and financial de-risking instruments, which will be validated through the implementation of a 100 MW PV project.in Nigeria
- The project, which began implementation in February 2017, has a GEF grant of $4,400,000 and co-financing of $213,750,000.
Building upon existing national development policies and initiatives, the project’s specific objectives are to:
- Put in place public de-risking instruments to support the more efficient and effective participation of the private sector in the power sector.
- Contribute to the country’s attainment of its voluntary mitigation targets in the energy sector, with expected direct emission reductions of 205,700 tonnes of CO2e during the project’s lifetime and additional indirect emission reductions of between 6.79 and 9.72 million tCO2e.
- Develop the first of its kind, On-Grid Solar-PV baseline project and pave the way for catalyzing more private investments so that the NAMA will generate national benefits related to green growth, energy security and job creation at scale.
The three components that support the achievements of objectives are:
- Design and development of a power sector renewable energy NAMA supported by DREI analysis.
- Policy and institutional framework for private investment in on-grid renewable power generation.
- 1st commercial on-grid RE project.
The project is nationally implemented by the Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN) as the implementing partner, with oversight support from UNDP. ECN is accountable to the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) and UNDP for the quality of project outcomes and appropriate use of the project resources, both when directly implementing project activities and when delegating others to do so.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Project Manager and project team to prepare a detailed Annual Work Plan of project activities in line with the project document and approved budget.
- Ensure delivery and disbursement of project funds in accordance with agreed Annual Work Plans, to achieve expected quarterly disbursement schedules and to meet the stated project outcomes and outputs; work closely with the Finance Officer to review expenditures and ensure cost-efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide administrative oversight to the Project Manager and support staff, and work in close consultation with GoN and UNDP in contracting, procurement, administrative and related issues to support efficient project implementation.
- Coordinate and provide strategic guidance to the Project Manager on the implementation of the project.
- Ensure adherence to all donor requirements, including policies and procedures and financial rules and regulations, including those of UNDP that may be applied to financial management of the project.
- Assist the Project Manager in the timely completion of quarterly progress reports and yearly Project Implementation Reports (PIRs).
- Facilitate meetings with project partners and resolve any issues, conflicts or delays affecting project implementation.
- Provide guidance to the Project Manager to fulfil all required progress, technical and financial reporting (to the Project Steering Committee and UNDP).
- Work with the Project Manager to create tenders for procurements of inputs and services, and evaluate and provide recommendations on bids (to National Project Director).
- Provide strategic guidance to the Project Board.
- Provide “on-the-job” technical guidance and mentoring to the project management unit (PMU) to strengthen their capacity to effectively implement the technical aspects of the project.
- Participate in and advise on the recruitment of local consultants and international experts.
- Support UNDP Country Office staff on their regular field missions and monitoring visits to the project sites.
- Facilitate the development of strategic regional and international partnerships for resource mobilization and the exchange of skills and information related to sustainable fuelwood management.
- Facilitate the development of communication for results.
- Prepare the mid-term climate change mitigation tracking tool prior to the mid-term review, in consultation with the Project Manager and the Regional Technical Advisor in UNDP’s Regional Service Centre.
Requirements for Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 10 years experience in public or private sector management, preferably with direct experience in programme or project management.
- Master's Degree in Energy, Renewable Energy, Environment or Natural Sciences, or a related discipline.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of renewable energy.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and ability to draft high quality reports in a concise manner.
- Excellent leadership, negotiation and communication skills.
- Sensitive to government and civil society interactions.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate teams of national staff, international and local consultants and other stakeholders to achieve results.
- Fully computer literate.
- Excellent English, both oral and written.
Click here for more on the Position Description (MS Word)
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.