The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Contract type: Expatriate contract
About the Job
- This role assist the HR Manager to ensure compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country.
- The role contributes to the development of country strategies (particularly on Learning & Development), which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
- The role provides support and/or technical guidance on HR issues when requested by the HR Manager.
- This function will also serve as the focal point for the forthcoming change management processes.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Lead on the development of the Learning & Development Nigeria Country Plan
- Conduct Training Needs Assessments (TNAs) on a regular basis and collaborate with managers to ensure both international and national staff are provided relevant capacity building opportunities
- Catalogue trainings that DRC Nigeria staff participate in and collect and analyze training reports submitted by staff
- Develop, launch, and manage staff well-being initiatives
- Manage the Meetings Tracker and disseminate weekly
- Prepare and submit required reports as per the fixed deadlines
- Assist the HR Manager with the monthly payroll as needed
- In collaboration with the HR Manager, ensure that the performance appraisals are conducted
- Assist in inducting training on Code of Conduct, Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, etc. as needed
- Assist in people planning activities (e.g. ensure job descriptions are in place for all roles)
- Assist or drive recruitment processes as needed
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a dynamic HR profile and ready to pull up the sleeves. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Advanced University degree (or Bachelor level qualification with equivalent years of professional experience) in a relevant field such as Social Sciences, Development Studies, International / Humanitarian Law, Communications or similar;
- 2-3 years of professional experience in humanitarian emergency contexts
- Knowledge and experience working with relevant sectoral areas implemented by DRC-DDG Nigeria programmes - including protection, food security, WASH, shelter, NFIs, mine action, mine risk education, and armed violence reduction;
- Experience in leading change management processes;
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural environment with diverse staff;
- Ability to live and work in an insecure and high-stress environment.
- Knowledge of Homere, payroll system.
- Knowledge of Hausa and/or other languages used in northeast Nigeria
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Contract length: 1 year
- Level: A16
- Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompanied, Non-family duty station: Yola, Nigeria
- Start date: ASAP
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Candidates will provide the following:
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Protection Coordinator”.
- The position title must be written in the subject line of the email otherwise will not be considered.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- The position is for Nigerian National only.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.