If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
Field Finance Officer
Length of contract: 3 years
Role type: National
Reporting to: State Coordinator
- The state Finance Officer will provide a full accounting function in maintaining financial records of all transactions in accordance with Malaria Consortium’s financial policies and procedures to the respective state offices.
Scope of work
- The State Finance Officer will be responsible for the accurate and timely posting of all invoices approved, petty cash management and banking, filing of field office monthly financial information inclusive of payment vouchers and procurement.
- The State finance Officer handles all cash receipts and payments as well as advising the Project Manager and Financial Accountant on any concerns about financial issues and sharing suggested solutions.
Key working relationships:
- The State finance Officer will be based in a state and will report to the state coordinator while interacting directly with other staff including the supply chain / admin officer, M&E officer and other staff in the field office.
- Indirectly they report to the Financial Accountant based in Abuja.
Key Accountabilities (percent of time spent on each area)
Financial transactions (60%):
- Receives all invoices from suppliers and prepares the Invoice authorisation forms.
- Reviews and post all invoices onto the purchase ledger, ensuring the accuracy of codes, complete support documentation and necessary approval from the authorised personnel as per the authorised signatory list (ASL).
- Prepare monthly reports to the state coordinator as set on monthly finance timetable which comprises the following:
- Bank reconciliation statement including copy of bank statement
- Aged list of outstanding Advances and Other ledger balances
- Fixed asset register update and Spot Check reports
- Authorised Petty Cash Count Certificate and reconciliations
- Monthly timesheet update
- End of Month Checklist
- Advise the state coordinator and Financial Accountant on any concerns on financial matters and share suggested solutions.
- In charge of archiving and filling all finance documents and ensuring that they are in safe custody and easily accessible by the finance team and auditors.
- Follow up on the stock balance of pre-printed financial documents (forms, vouchers, receipts etc.) and make a timely replacement order before stock outs occur.
Payment processing (30%):
- Prepare all payments either cash, cheque or bank transfers and obtains approval from the authorised personnel.
- Scrutinise all payment requests, including advances for travel and activities that these are in accordance with Malaria Consortium policies and procedures.
- Issue all travel and activity advances to staff and consultants.
- Check all advances are settled with the set timeframes as per the finance policy, bringing any late settlements or concerns to the attention of the state coordinator.
- Post payments onto PS Financials ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
Petty Cash (10%):
- Keep the petty cash impress system and records, making payments as approved by the authorised personnel.
- Take collections and issue proper receipts, making the deposit of all cash collections in a timely manner.
- Count Petty Cash at least on a monthly basis with the supply chain / Admin Officer.
- Post all petty cash invoices and vouchers into the general ledger with accurate codes and on a timely basis.
Qualifications and Experience
- HND or Bachelors in Accounting or relevant degree
- At least one year in a Finance/Accounts Officer position.
- Working knowledge of accounting software
- Experience of working in a smaller remote field office as the lead finance person
- Knowledge of NGO sector
- Part qualified member of an accounting professional body
- Work-based skills and competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel
- Good analytical skills
- Strong ability to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks.
- Willingness to learn at all times.
- LEVEL A - Focuses on delivering contribution to Malaria Consortium and achieving own objectives
- Puts in effort required to ensure the delivery of own work and objectives to meet (and exceed) expectations
- Strong self-management of time and effort
- Checks own work to ensure quality
Analysis and use of information:
- LEVEL B - Uses evidence to support work
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and communications:
- LEVEL B - Fosters two-way communication
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
- LEVEL A - Is a good and effective team player
- Is as a good and effective team player
- Knows who their customers are and their requirements
- Respects and listens to different views/opinions
- Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and motivating people:
- LEVEL A - Open to learning and responds positively to feedback
- Willingness to manage own development and performance
- Builds capacity of colleagues by sharing knowledge (induction) and acting as induction ‘buddy’ when asked
- Open to learning new things
- Responds positively to feedback from others
- Identifies mistakes and takes positive steps to improve
- LEVEL A - Recognises own stress levels and adapts
- Recognises limitations and take steps to manage any resulting pressure or stress
- Remains focused on objectives and goal in a rapidly changing environment
- Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Living the values:
- LEVEL A - Demonstrates Malaria Consortium values
- Demonstrates integrity, honesty and fairness in dealing with colleagues and stakeholders
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
- Treats all people with respect
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness
- LEVEL A - Manages own workload effectively
- Plans and manages own workload effectively
- Is familiar with Malaria Consortium’s mission and current strategic plan
- Understands own contribution to Malaria Consortium’s objectives
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Click Here For More Information (PDF)