Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons based on need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
Deputy Country Representative - Emergency Response and Recovery
Department: Emergency/ Nigeria
Reports To: Country Representative
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The DCR/Emergency Response and Recovery (ER&R) is based in Maiduguri, in northeast Nigeria and is responsible for the overall supervision and management of CRS Emergency Response and Recovery operations in the country, particularly in northeast Nigeria. Additionally, while leading CRS’ humanitarian commitment in Nigeria, the DCR/ER&R will oversee all operations functions (HR, Finances, Security, Supply Chain Management) of CRS’ office in northeast Nigeria. In close cooperation with the DCR/Health and DCR/Agricultural Livelihoods, he/she will encourage the harmonization of CRS’ development and humanitarian assistance programs and operations across the northeast for high-quality performance as per Agency Strategy (Signature Program Areas (SPAs), Core Competencies, High Performance Culture), while coordinating effectively with CRS staff and programs/operations in Abuja and elsewhere in the country to ensure integration, learning and leveraging of results.
As a member of CRS’ Leadership Team in Nigeria, the DCR/ER&R will participate in key decision-making processes and in the strategic management of the Country Program. With the Country Representative (CR) and the three other Abuja based DCRs, the DCR/ER&R will be current and forward thinking on issues concerning CRS’ operations and program activities in Nigeria and will work closely with managers and project staff to ensure a cohesive and common vision in the effective implementation of operations and program strategy in the country program.
- Ensure that CRS program and operations staff align with Project Management Standards and comply with agency MEAL standards.
- Work with PQ Unit and community of practice leaders to develop and/or adapt PQ standards and ensure compliance through project staff.
- Identify most appropriate systems for ensuring that staff are assigned program quality roles, receive appropriate capacity strengthening, and are accountable to program quality and project management standards as part of performance management.
- Support the design and development of communities of practice in key technical areas as well as MEAL and partnership. Ensure quality leadership and drive substantive outcomes in cross-learning, technical standards, innovation, technical assistance to programs and program design. Oversee the implementation of the country program partnership strategy – ensuring strategic partnerships are developed, and effective institutional capacity assessment and strengthening support provided with appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Ensure that all programs are gender-responsive and where possible gender transformative, and support the country program leadership in gender mainstreaming across programs and operations.
- Liaise with the Business Development Manager to coordinate high quality program design that reflects the strengths and experiences from existing programs and incorporates project quality and management standards and MEAL methods appropriate to scope, context and technical requirements of projects.
- Liaise with Operations units to ensure seamless coordination between programming and operations and that operations staff uphold program quality principles where relevant.
- Develop clear communication protocols for efficient coordination with Deputy Country Representatives (DCRs) and senior program staff.
- Ensure coordination of technical assistance across SPAs from both in-country and regional/HQ staff.
- Lead annual planning of resources required for the program quality unit and oversee efficient management of resources.
- Lead periodic meetings with DCRs and senior program staff to guide high level program quality agenda of the country program.
- Lead internal program quality assessments to measure compliance and outcomes.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise members of the PQ unit. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance assessment for direct reports.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in international development, non-profit management or related fields strongly preferred or equivalent experience.
- Seven years of field-based experience managing staff and programs, particularly in complex emergency and insecure environments program portfolio.
- Significant experience in general CP and emergency operations including security management.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender sensitive programming and operations.
- Ability to manage diversity and commitment to embracing diversity.
- Thorough knowledge of CRS management and program principles.
- Working knowledge of Church and Caritas structures a plus.
- Demonstrated qualities of leadership, sensitivity to cultural setting, communication skills, commitment, and sound judgment.
- Effective planning and organization skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to project offices.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, with added Hausa and/or Kanuri an advantage.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should download the CRS Application Form using this link https://goo.gl/tCN6aY and send with a detailed 3-page resume both in a single file document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications should reach us before 5pm, Thursday January 25, 2018.
Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Method of Application
Use the email(s) below to apply.
- Deputy Country Representative - Emergency Response and Recovery - email@example.com
TO VIEW SALARIES OF CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES, CLICK HERE
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale