Benson Idahosa University, Benin City is a faith-based private University licensed by the Federal Government in February, 2002. The vision of the University flows from the divine mandate of raising academics, professionals and entrepreneurs committed to changing Nigeria for the better, by LEADING THE CHANGE.
The University runs both Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes and has recorded remarkable achievements in various areas of research won grants for Information Communication Technology from foreign countries and has great potentials and has great potentials for much more.
The University operates a policy of zero tolerance for cultism, examination misconduct, harassment of any kind and other unwholesome practices. The University demands that all its staff and students commit to the highest moral and ethical standards.
It is hereby notified for general information that vacancy exist for the position of Vice-Chancellor of Benson Idahosa University, Benin City. The Governing Council therefore, in accordance with the relevant sections of the University's Statutes, has approved that appropriate machinery be set in motion for the selection of suitably qualified candidates to flit this important vacancy.
- The Vice-Chancellor is the most senior administrative and academic officer of the University. He/She exercises general supervision and control and provides strategic direction and leadership.
- The Vice-Chancellor by virtue of his office is a member of the Governing Council and all statutory Committees of the Council. In addition, he/she chairs the Senate and other principal bodies chairs the university and nominates representatives to chair others.
- The Vice-Chancellor plays a principal role in securing and growing the financial base of the University. All powers relating to the proper maintenance and discipline of students in the University is vested in the Vice-Chancellor. He works with the various bodies and authorities within the University, provide a stable and conducive atmosphere for running the university.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a period of four years in the first instance and upon such term as shall, subject to the law and Statutes, determined by the Visitor thereafter.
- The candidate must have a Ph.D from a recognized University in a subject area taught in Benson idahosa University. And in addition, he must have good knowledge in Nigeria Educational Policy.
- The candidate should possess considerable administrative experience within the university system and must show demonstrable ability to attract funds to the University.
- The candidate must have been a Professor for not less than 10 years with an unbroken years service within the University system during the period.
- The candidate must demonstrate academic excellence in terms of quality publications, teaching, innovation, credible community service and proficiency in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- The candidate must be a person of courage and transparent honesty, who can take decision on the merit of facts, equity and patriotism and not on the basis of parochial interests or primordial pressures. Candidates should also be free from conflicts of interest.
- The candidate must have the highest moral standards, impeccable character and proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency and probity. He/She must ensure the judicious utilization of scarce resources for optimum public good.
- The candidates must have a good knowledge of University tradition and operation.
- The candidate must be able to command respect among his/her colleagues and peers and be able to motivate staff towards the achievement of the vision and mission of the University.
- The candidate must be firm and fair in decision making and MUST FOLLOW DUE PROCESS in taking decisions.
- The candidate must be vast in research and should be able to encourage research development through research proposals.
- The candidate must have the ability to provide a conducive, aesthetic and healthy environment for learning.
- The candidate must have the ability to promote linkages with external bodies (locally and internationally).
- The candidate must enjoy good physical and mental health and be free from any inhibiting health condition.
- The candidate must have a strong spiritual (Christian) testimony.
Condition of Service:
- Remuneration and other conditions of service are as determined by the Governing Council of the University and are highly attractive.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates who meet the conditions stated above should submit a copy of their application and comprehensive current curriculum vitae duty signed and dated, by email.
The Curriculum Vitae must include:
a) Full Names
b) Place and date of birth
c) State of origin
d) Home address
e) Contact address (including e-mail and telephone number)
f) Marital status
g) Number and ages of children (if any)
i) Working experience
j) Present employment, indicating present status and salary
k) Extracurricular activities
l) Referees (3)
m) Institutions attended with dates
n) Academic qualifications obtained with dates
- Candidates are to write in not more than six hundred (600) words, their vision [hr the university in hinds generation and management for the next five years.
- Each applicant must have three (3) referees who should be requested by the applicant to forward their referees report under confidential cover by Courier Service directly to the Registrar.
- In addition, candidates should submit by Courier Service Under Confidential Cover 10 hard copies of their applications and curriculum vitae in an envelope marked at the top left hand corner "Post of Bursar, Benson Idahosa University" or "Post of Vice Chancellor, Benson Idahosa University" to reach the Office of:
Benson Idahosa University,
Benin City, Edo State,
Note: Only the applications of short-listed candidates will he acknowledged.