Girl Hub is a strategic collaboration between the Department for International Development (DFID) and the NIKE Foundation, designed to bring together the expertise of both organisation to transform the lives of adolescent girls. Our aim is to shift the social norms that hold girls back, and drive better investment that directly benefit girls.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Private Sector Scoping Specialist
With its strong links with the Nike Foundation, GHN considers the private sector a key partner in Nigeria. The private sector has the resources and expertise to provide the skills and services girls need to improve their lives. In the last decade or more, many multinational and national companies have become more development oriented in their business approach, increasing their CSR and creating foundations. Some notable examples include the ENGINE project which is a partnership between Coca Cola, Nike, DiLight, Mercy Corp and Girl Hub; The Girls Education project which is a partnership between Oando, Clinton Foundation and the British Council, etc.
To increase investments for girls, Girl Hub needs to know what social initiatives private sector organizations are investing in, both in general as well as for girls in particular. It is in this regard that GHN is seeking the services of a consultant to carry out a thorough scoping of private sector initiatives that are or could be relevant to girls, across the five geo-political zones of Nigeria
- To identify all possible private sector entities directly or indirectly financing/engaged in development with particular focus on existing private sector entities supporting initiatives for adolescent girls.
- The analysis should aim to look across the themes of education, health, safety and violence, economic empowerment and girl's voice, rights and participation.
- To collect detailed information on the nature, scope, terms and level of their engagement in development with particular focus on initiatives for girls
- To identify potential areas of investment for girls (e.g. new assets and services) that are not currently being invested in, but would be appropriate and interesting for private sector organisations to consider
Scope of Work:
- Provide an overview of what private sector initiatives exist for girls, across each of the country's six geopolitical zones and the thematic areas outlined above, as well as initiatives that could be tweaked to support adolescent girls.
- Provide an overview of the different investment models to consider including corporate social responsibility (CSR), sustainability, inclusive business (i.e. low income consumers), and private sector development (i.e. investing in entrepreneurship) and provide possible entry points for GHN to collaborate.
- Provide detail on the objectives and target beneficiaries, activities being delivered and their geographic reach, any other partners/donors involved in the funding or implementation of the initiative, and total scope of financial commitment (categorized according to cash and in-kind contributions).
- Identify entry points and potential for Girl Hub to partner and influence these initiatives.
- Provide key contact details for the companies identified as prospects.
Consultant(s)/Consulting firm Deliverables:
- Submit an inception report within one week of commissioning, that reflects understanding of Girl Hub's unique intervention approach and strategy, a comprehensive methodology for the assignment and detailed workplan with timelines.
- Develop data collection tools / frameworks.
- Conduct all desk research and interviews with private sector actors as required to meet information gathering objectives.
- Draft a mapping report that serve as a reliable reference tool for GHN in identifying which of these private sector initiatives there would be value in, and opportunity to, partner with and influence, and potentially secure funding from for Girl Hub’s activities.
- Submit a draft report of findings and recommendations for review by Girl Hub. The draft report will be commented on and returned to you within one week of submission.
- Produce a revised final report latest one week after the receipt of the draft report comments.
- Degree in Business, International Development, or related field.
- At least 10 years'; experience in working with the private sector on development issues
- Demonstrable experience with similar mapping exercises
- Very good knowledge of private sector investment (CSR, inclusive business, sustainability)
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Education Policy Consultant"
The application should include:
- Curriculum vitae of the consultant(s) who will undertake this assignment, the CV should include relevant experience, names and addresses of organizations where similar work has been carried out.
- A budget for the assignment.
- A concept note detailing how the study will be undertaken.
- A detailed activity based timetable for the work.