The Sabin Vaccine Institute (Sabin) is seeking a consultant to fill a full-time Advocacy Officer position in its Global Network for Neglected Tropical Diseases (Global Network) program. The Advocacy Officer will serve as the primary representative of the Global Network in Nigeria and lead country advocacy activities on neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). The primary purpose of these activities is to increase the political commitment, public awareness and resources necessary to achieve NTD control and elimination in Nigeria.
The successful candidate for this new, independent contractor position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria and liaise with Global Network staff based in Washington, DC. The Advocacy Officer will report frequently to Sabin, both informally and formally. Travel within Nigeria will be required. The Advocacy Officer will be contracted for an initial one year term, with the possibility of renewal for up to three years.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as the Global Network’s primary liaison in Nigeria with officials from the Government of Nigeria, bilateral agencies, non-governmental development organization and other constituents, including the media
• Conduct advocacy activities targeting Government of Nigeria officials from the Federal Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Finance, Governors Forum and National Health Council, including leading briefings, identifying champions, coordinating site visits and developing position papers and policy briefs
• Build relationships and work with members of the national NTD Steering Committee and other relevant stakeholders; Review key program documents (e.g., national and state multi-year plans and respective annual work plans, budgets and data) to become familiar with the progress and status of national NTD programs, identify key milestones and achievements, assess gaps, and use this information to inform advocacy strategies and key messages
• Collaborate and manage relationships with key partners in Nigeria, including cross-sector partners such as those in the National Malaria Program, National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), and Office of the Special Adviser on the MDGs, including alignment of advocacy activities and organizing stakeholder meetings
• Support the development of communications tools and help leverage opportunities for communications and media activities across Nigeria; Proactively engage media partners to ensure NTD issues are featured in television, print and radio media, including educating journalists and media contacts about NTDs
• Stay abreast of the political and financial landscape in Nigeria, monitoring current events, policy and fiscal issues, and health and development priorities at the national level and in priority state(s)
• Prepare regular reports and timely updates summarizing advocacy activities in Nigeria and maintain regular communication with Global Network and Sabin staff in Washington, DC
• Travel within Nigeria as needed
• Perform other duties as assigned
Experience and Educational Requirements:
The successful candidate will be a self-starter and seasoned advocate with at least 5 years of experience in advocacy, policy, and public relations in global health or development in Africa. S/he will have:
• A Bachelor’s Degree with related advanced degree such as a Master’s in International Development, Public Health or Business Administration a benefit
• Experience in advocacy, policy analysis and familiarity with the Nigerian government structure and budgeting process at the national and state level, with an ability to explain the complexities of those processes to a variety of audiences; Have a good network of contacts in the government and policy arena
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including an ability to articulate key messages accurately and effectively to the media
• Ability to build confidence and manage relationships with prominent stakeholders, including remotely via email and phone
• Reputation for professionalism and accountability, with an ability to proactively manage internal reporting requirements
• Previous experience in global health or development particularly with international organizations
• Proficiency in English
• Authorization to live and work in Nigeria
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and compensation requirements via e-mail to email@example.com. Please be sure to reference “Advocacy Officer-Nigeria,” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love
Join our happy subscribers