Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
Consultant - HIV/AIDS and TB Resource Tracking Technical Assistance
Duration: 60 Days.
Project Overview and Role
- Health Policy Plus (HP+) is a USAID-funded five-year $185 million project awarded to Palladium in August 2015. HP+ has a mandate across global, country, and subnational levels to strengthen and advance health policy priorities in HIV, family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), and maternal health.
- It aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through policy development and implementation, with an emphasis on voluntary, rights-based health programs, and by strengthening in-country partners’ capacity to navigate complex environments for effective policy design, implementation, and financing aligned to their priorities. HP+ provides technical assistance to governments, civil society, and the private sector to effectively engage in domestic resource mobilization (DRM), put in place sustainable financing and accountability mechanisms, and make progress toward global, national, and subnational health goals.
- HP+ has been engaged by the USAID Nigeria Office to conceptualize and design activities to improve sustainable financing for Human Immunodeficiency Virus / Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS) and tuberculosis (TB) programs at the national level and in two USAID priority states – Lagos and Kano.
- These activities will span an initial period of 2 years, will continue efforts started by the Health Finance and Governance (HFG) project and complement current Strengthening Integrated Delivery of HIV and AIDS Services (SIDHAS) and Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus projects’ activities.
- Resource tracking is an important component to enable evidence-based decision making towards closing HIV/AIDS and TB programing resource gaps through domestic financing in Lagos and Kano states.
- The resource tracking consultant will work with HP+ staff, SACA, State Ministry of Health and other relevant stakeholders to provide technical support towards the design and implementation of resource tracking component of HP+ Nigeria project.
- The budget tracking will build on real time resource tracking exercise the project has embarked on in order to have a more elaborate information on sources, magnitude and flow of resources for HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis at the states level. Beyond tracking funds from the public sector budget, the consultant will also track funding from the private sectors, health insurance and external funding.
- The information will be useful in making a case for Public investment in the disease areas and also target other sources and ensure synergy among funding mechanisms.
- Methodology; the tool for tracking will be the System of Health Account tool adopted by the Federal Ministry of Health as the methodology for National Health Account and Subaccount.
The following range of activities are anticipated:
- Participate in the design/review of a tracking tool appropriate for HIV/AIDS and TB Resource/expenditure tracking
- Facilitate training workshop on resource tracking and its uses for state government staff
- Collect high quality resource tracking data
- Analyze resource tracking data and draw inferences and recommendations
- Write detailed resource tracking report based on agreed upon format
- Present preliminary findings to stakeholders and facilitate discussion
- Revise/refine the report based on comments from relevant stakeholders
- Facilitate dissemination of resource tracking report at the state level
- Developed/revised resource tracking tool for both states.
- Facilitate stakeholders’ orientation in Lagos and Kano states.
- Analyzed resource tracking data, preliminary output tables and power point presentation of results
- Comprehensive resource tracking draft report upon agreed format.
- Final report after incorporation of comments from all relevant stakeholders
- Detailed consultancy report
- Degree in relevant field including International Development, Public Health, Finance, Economics and any other relevant courses.
- Sound understanding of TB, HIV epidemic and programs in Nigeria
- Familiarity with the Nigerian health system
- Good understanding of HIV/AIDS and TB resource mobilization and resource tracking
- At least 3 years’ experience in health financing/public financial management
- Experience in similar exercises such as NASA/SASA, NHA and/or any other health resource tracking is an added advantage
- Knowledge of the System of Health Account adopted by Federal Ministry of Health
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Although it is anticipated that the HIV/AIDS Resource Tracking Technical Assistance Consultant will be able to work independently and with the Lagos and Kano States Coordinator for the HP+ HIV and TB Activity, to ensure quality assurance and timeliness, the Consultant will report to and share draft deliverables and reports with the technical lead for TB and HIV team in Abuja to obtain technical approvals.
Tentative timeline and duration of the consultancy:
- 60 days LOE shared equally for both states over the period of January 2020 to March 2020
Applications Closing Date
11th December, 2019.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.