Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
Case Worker Model Consultant
Consultancy code: CWK91319
- Short Term Consultancy to document CRS Nigeria’s Caseworker Model
Terms of Reference:
- This Terms of Reference (TOR) provides the description and work to be done to document CRS Nigeria’s Caseworker Model in all required states in Nigeria.
- The ‘Case Worker Model’ is a form of coaching and mentoring. In this approach, a trained social worker (Case Worker) ‘walks with’ individual beneficiary households providing focused and contextualized motivation and training as they participate in the project.
- The Case Worker carefully documents progress in a participatory manner with target households. S/he provides additional training to address identified gaps and is available for additional consultation should beneficiary households require it.
- The Case Worker supports families to identify their livelihood goals and develop a measurable plan for achieving these goals.
- This model was successfully piloted in the US$ 23M, CRS managed, USAID-funded ‘Feed the Future Nigeria Livelihoods Project’ (FTTNLP) that was implemented in FCT, Kebbi, Sokoto, Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States. The Case Worker Model is similarly being piloted by the World Bank and CRS on Nigeria National Social Safety Nets Project (NASSP).
- CRS has developed a curriculum, training guides, facilitation manuals and pictorial household diaries to facilitate to support implementation of this model. Training materials include picture-based diaries that were created to overcome literacy barriers. These pictorial guides were highly lauded for making training more accessible to beneficiaries of FTTNLP. CWM covers the following modules: Introduction to Program and Diary, Human Asset Mapping; Physical Asset Mapping, Income & Expenditure; Crisis, Coping, Savings; and, Goal Setting and Planning.
- To document, illustrate and produce a briefing document on the CRS Nigeria Case Worker Model (CWM) for both internal (within CRS) and external (donors, government agencies etc.) audiences.
- Research similar models and draw comparisons with CRS case worker model; clearly illustrating areas for improving CWM.
- Study existing CWM materials and comment on their adequacy / recommend additional materials that need to be developed.
- Develop a detailed briefing paper on the CWM that highlights the benefits of case workers, the projects in which the model has successfully been implemented and that provides a diagrammatic illustration of the model.
- Document the household model: struggling households linked to model households for handholding support and mentoring
- Document current status of the FTF caseworker model including residual capacity and structures (for internal purposes only)
- Document key learnings from implementation of CWM and identify limitations to the model
Approach and Method:
- Desk research complemented by interviews with key stakeholders. Conduct interviews of former caseworkers, government officials, former liaisons and a small sample of households that benefitted from the scheme.
Schedule of Deliverables:
- A briefing document for CRS’ use in future proposal designs not exceeding 2 pages
- A public briefing document for external audiences not exceeding 4 pages.
- A final report sharing highlights of the assignment, methodology as well as current status of the FTF caseworker model.
- An advanced degree in Social Work, Sociology, Rural Development or related field.
- Training and hands on experience in curriculum development / training of trainers.
- Experience with CRS caseworker model is desirable
- An understanding of development challenges and opportunities in rural Nigeria.
- Ability to carry out research and synthesize findings into white papers.
- Knowledge of English knowledge and excellent writing skills are mandatory.
- Capacity to self-manage, work independently and remotely and deliver on time.
Time and Level of Effort:
- This consultancy shall not exceed 21 days.
- CRS will pay a consultancy fee based upon a mutually agreeable daily consultancy rate. Logistics for field trips will be arranged separately. CRS will reimburse operational and logistical costs if they are identified and approved by the Consultancy Manager in advance.
- Please note that CRS will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5%
- withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, colour, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviours related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their "Expression of Interest (EOI)" along with a detailed Resume attached as one document in PDF indicating the Title of the Consultancy and the Consultancy Code to: email@example.com
Note: Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Method of Application
Use the email(s) below to apply.
- Case Worker Model Consultant - firstname.lastname@example.org