ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
About the Job
- This position will fall under the Security Department and will report directly to the Country Security Manager with being under the overall authority of the Country Director of the mission.
- He/she also responsible to ensure a regular security and safety communication is maintained between ACTED office at Maiduguri and field offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Country Security Manager this position is expected to be able to carry out the following functions:
Staff/Program and Premises Safety/Security:
- Act as the security focal point in the above-mentioned area of operations to all program staff
- Support the program staff and activities, ensuring all policies, procedures and protocols are adhered to
- Conduct daily security and safety briefings and issues communications and tracking equipment to field teams
- Supervise static security guards and drivers in all areas of intervention within all areas of intervention
- Make frequent visits to program activity sites to conduct compliance and risk assessments
- Provide constant support to the security department while deployed in the field
- Maintain open lines of communications with all mission staff in the field and the security department
- Monitor activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are adhered to at all times
- Ensure that all field staff are fully cognizant of prevailing security threats
- Monitor the security preparedness of mission staff and enforce compliance
- Maintain and control the implementation of mitigation measures and security rules as directed
- Ensure compliance with Minimum Operating Security Standards and organisational Standard Operating Procedures
- Develop action plans for security upgrades where required and as requested
- Carry out security assessments of new facilities in line with Minimum Operating Infrastructure Standards
- Ensure a proper level of preparation before movement in the field
Context and Risk Analysis:
- Develop and regularly update the security profile of operational areas of intervention within the Monguno and Kukawa LGA’s
- Follow-up on major events and developments whilst reporting areas of concern for all operating areas of intervention
- Analyze and locate key local stakeholders
- Develop security trend analysis
- Maintain the existing internal incident tracking system and security incident database
- Regularly conduct Security Risk Assessments at LGA and area specific level
- Conduct security assessments on new areas of intervention and new office/guest house’s
- Play an important role in the Crisis Management Team at field level
- Ensure safety policies and procedures are implemented and in line with best practices, SOP’s and MOSS
- Provide timely updates of all situational and security developments
- Produce real-time incidents report (using Form SEC-03)
- Ensure weekly security situation reports are completed and sent to the Senior Security and Liaison Officer
Training and Briefing:
- Conduct security briefing for each new staff arriving in the concerned area of operation (national/international)
- Determine training needs for the program staff and communicate needs in a timely manner
- Carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff trainings
Developing and Maintaining a Security Network:
- Actively participate in weekly and monthly coordination meetings in the absence of the CSM
- Create an information network in the country, identifying key informants
- Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities, other actors
All employees should master ACTED's core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent in Security Management
- Other Security Management specific qualifications
- 2-3 years of experience in the Humanitarian Sector in a Security Management/Coordinators role
- Extensive experience and knowledge in operating Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated communication and organizational skills
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and national staff
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments
- Willingness to work in often remote areas under basic conditions when required
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office
- Advanced proficiency in written and spoken English as well as Hausa and Kanuri
- Experience in developing safety related technical tools guidelines and systems
- Willing to meet short deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Previous experience in security forces.
- Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
Method of Application
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
Interested and qualified? Go to The Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development (ACTED) career website on accounts.google.com to apply