The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
WPE Community Mobilization Assistant
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Mubi, Nigeria
SCOPE OF WORK
The WPE Community Mobilization Assistant will be focal point in conducting of all awareness/community education component of IRC WPE programming. This component aims to facilitate a change in attitudes and behaviors that condone and perpetuate Gender-Based Violence: this involves encouraging men and women to reflectively examine gender roles and inequalities in order to support a safer environment for women and girls, and to facilitate gender-inclusive development in the community. S/he will work with communities to develop and implement plans to improve the safety and security for all individuals in the community. S/he will collaborate and coordinate with other partners to facilitate an effective multi-sectoral approach to addressing GBV.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
COMMUNITY MOBILIZATION , EDUCATION and AWARENESS RAISING
- Work with the Community Engagement Officer to design the contents and participate in awareness raising activities aimed at promoting changes in attitudes, behaviors and practices regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Identify and strengthen strategies that promotes active community participation in the prevention and response interventions designed to address GBV.
- Play a lead role in the formation of community groups for response, empowerment and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Capacity building assistants, Comprehensive Women Center integration officers, Case Worker to facilitate information dissemination and sensitizations sessions to community groups, local partners and Community Based Organizations on GBV issues.
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities through EMAP and SASA.
- Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form ‘action groups’ for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance amongst women in the communities.
- Identify advocacy concerns, Initiate and coordinate advocacy actions
- In collaboration with case worker ensure that women are engaged in psycho social activities at the comprehensive women’s centers, by sharing information on activities being conducted at these safe spaces.
- Identify and train EMAP allies and link them to SASA activities within their communities
PLANNING, COLLABORATION AND COORDINATION
- In collaboration with WPE Case Management Assistants and Capacity Building Assistants, Women action groups and adolescent girls Groups, identify training needs of local structures including community members and facilitating these training in a consistent and appropriate manner using approved training tools.
- Plan and implement safety audit activities in the camps and communities to triangulate protection concerns that may have been overlooked during protection monitoring. Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities as the needs may arise.
- Promote women’s active participation in leadership and decision-making positions within their communities.
- In collaboration with the case management officer, case workers and community members conduct FGDs in the camps and communities to identify potential protection risks, and develop sustainable risk reduction strategies to address them.
REPORTING and MONITORING
- Compile and summarize weekly activity data to M&E Officer for monitoring purpose.
- Submit weekly narrative reports to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Communicate all challenges encountered to the Community Engagement Officer, for brainstorming and solution.
- Take note and document all emerging issues observed during program implementation and share back with the Community Engagement Officer for informed program design.
- Follow-up on training, sensitization and meetings conducted to ensure implementation of action plans
- In collaboration with other WPE Staff submit monthly activity cash projections for prevention activities in a timely Manner to program manager.
- Ensure that all liquidations are done in a timely manner with relevant supporting documentations.
- Submit all financial request to program Manager in a timely manner for onward submission to either supply chain or finance.
- Any other duties assigned as needed
- Possess a higher level education in Community Development or a related field
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Must be interested and committed to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English: Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM.
Security level orange. The situation in Mubi, Adamawa remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
People from Mubi and who speak and understand Hausa and Fulfulde are highly encouraged to apply
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.