The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project Officer (WASH/Community Engagement)
Requisition: SVN 2019/23
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and Head of Sub office/Emergency Coordinator and the direct supervision of the WASH Program Manager, the successful candidate will provide technical support for the planning, coordination and implementation of WASH Program in hygiene promotion and community engagement in North East Nigeria IOM Emergency WASH Response, Nigeria. In particular, the officer will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide technical inputs in terms of community engagement to all ongoing WASH activities implemented by IOM, namely WASH activities implemented by IOM at different IDP camps or camp like settings, such as construction/rehabilitation of boreholes, construction and maintenance of latrines and showers, hygiene promotion and cholera response, solid waste management and construction of drainage lines
- Contribute to the development of and implement hygiene promotion and community engagement tools and materials for overall WASH program activities.
- Contribute to implementation of IOM Nigeria WASH program strategy to respond to rising emergency, transition and recovery WASH needs in terms of community engagement, participation and feedback mechanism.
- Liaise with WASH Sector Hygiene promotion Technical Working Group (TWG), protection sector TWG, local government authorities and partner agencies in relation to the implementation of IOM activities.
- Provide technical support, coordinate and implement overall IOM cholera preparedness and response activities.
- Travel to the field project locations to monitor implementation of WASH projects including construction, rehabilitation and upgrading facilities, hygiene promotion and check that the work is carried out according to the specifications and strategy of and provided by IOM.
- Monitor adherence to the approved work, budget and procurement plans.
- Facilitate effective integration and mainstreaming of gender into all activities.
- Work closely with the WASH Project Assistants, technical supervisors and hygiene promoters in order to identify and recommend specific learning needs.
- Provide close guidance and assistance in order to contribute to the development of WASH staff technical capacity.
- Provide WASH inputs for weekly reporting and check that all relevant aspects are captured.
- Check that all reporting material is of high standard.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master ’s degree in Public Health or Environmental Science, Social Science, or a related Field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in WASH programming in complex emergencies both in camp settings and host community situation is essential; Experience in project administration
- Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues;
- Knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - Behavioural Indicators (Level 2):
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - Behavioural Indicators (Level 2):
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link: https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration - IOM career website on recruit.iom.int to apply