Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 6 months
Search for Common Ground seeks professional, motivated, and creative Project coordinator to be responsible for the overall coordination and implementation of the ‘Protection, Empowerment and Resilience Building (PERD) of Women in Borno and Yobe States’ project in the state. The project coordinator will report to SFCG’s Program manager and will cooperate with partners to launch a state project designed to strengthen the women’s role in conflict prevention, peace-making and peace building.
S/he will support the implementation process of this project and ensure that the activities are executed as planned and within the timeframe and are of highest quality; coordinate with the project participants and ensure the logistics of all the events go smoothly; and prepare monthly progress and quarterly reports.
S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, Jos and work in close coordination with other project coordinators under the Project. The position will be based in Borno and will include frequent travels to Yobe and the field.
About the Project
- The overall objective of the UN Women project ‘Protection, Empowerment and Resilience Building (PERD) of Women in Borno and Yobe States’ is to empower communities and build resilience through promoting socio-economic behavior change to address the root causes of gender-based violence (GBV) and improve access to formal and informal judiciary systems, as well as economic empowerment opportunities for women.
As a component of this program, the proposed project has the following two specific outcomes, and related outputs and indicators:
- Outcome 1: Women and girls’ safety increased through community-based actions to mitigate risks, and prevent and respond to incidents of GBV in Borno and Yobe states.
- Outcome 2: Targeted women in Borno and Yobe states have improved livelihood and access to income generating activities (IGA).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a costed work plan for the project;
- Coordinate and arrange all logistics for various meetings, and workshops, including invitations, venue, participants travel and accommodation;
- Work closely with the Design, Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning (DMEL) Manager to monitor and track project’s progress and draw out results, success stories and lessons learned;
- Work closely with the Communications team to capture the stories and highlight the outcome and results of the project;
- Work with the community theatre groups in the state to produce participatory community theatre production in each of the target LGAs
- Ensure that the project meets all its deliverables on time and the expected results are of high quality;
- Develop and nurture relations with relevant state, NGO, religious bodies and other stakeholders at the national, regional and state level;
- Analyze the context within the scope of the project and provide inputs for regular context updates;
- Writing and producing reports that include but not limited to context updates, monthly reports, quarterly reports, success stories, and case studies;
- Provide support to SFCG’s other projects and programs where relevant and necessary
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Science, Arts, Development Studies or related field;
- At least 3 years of working experience with INGO on Women, Peace and Security area.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in project cycle management, coordinating project activities, outreach, and/or advocacy;
- Substantial experience working in the peace building and conflict transformation field, experience of inter-religious work will be an added advantage;
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts
- Experience in data collection, analysis, and report writing
- Excellent in English (oral and written)
- Ability to plan, organize work, communicate and reports effectively (both in writing and verbally) team player, effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, able to work in a multicultural environment
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humour
- Excellent sense of confidentiality
- Excellent listening and empathy
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, and deadlines.
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers)
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following below:
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please compile your writing sample and resume into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Note: Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.