Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming. CRS is expanding its activities in the North-East in the area of Food Security, Nutrition, Non Food Items, Water and Sanitation.
State Program Manager
Application Ref. Code: PMF7119
Locations: Akwa-Ibom, Delta, Imo & Nasarawa
Job Band: 8
Reports To: Zonal Coordinator
- FASTER (Faith-based Action for Scaling up Testing and Treatment for the Epidemic Response) project is designed as a new component of the global FOCUS (Faith-based Organization Capacity Strengthening for Universal HIV Services) project. Funded by the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FOCUS was developed with the intent of building FBO network capacity, assisting FBOs to contribute to HIV multi-sector planning for expanded service delivery, and documenting successful approaches. Led by CRS, FOCUS builds understanding of how to leverage the faith-based community’s contributions at sub-national and national levels, reinforcing mutual responsibility and country-driven leadership.
- FASTER takes FOCUS’ objectives to the next level by creating an enabling environment in Nigeria where government, civil society, the private sector, and FBOs can accelerate normative pediatric HIV case finding, testing, linkage to care and treatment, and adherence support by strengthening and streamlining joint coordination and provision of pediatric HIV service delivery.
- The State Program Manager coordinates the activities of FASTER at the State level.
- S/he facilitates linkages between the FASTER project technical team and technical teams of Government coordinating structures, PEPFAR HIV Treatment and OVC program partners at the State field locations.
- S/he will oversee the technical strategies of FASTER along the priority actions providing technical leadership in implementing and monitoring project deliverables and outcomes at the State level and ensure project outputs areas are met as per the agreed work plan.
- The role ensures timeliness and efficiency of all program activities for achieving FASTER objectives and targets in line with the CRS partnership management approach.
- Working closely with the Zonal Coordinator, the State Program Manager coordinates establishment and effective management of the project sub-recipients and other strategic partnerships at the zonal level.
Specific Job Responsibilities
Program Management, Quality and Technical Coordination:
- Ensure quality assurance of FASTER at the State level with respect to program strategies and activities designed to respond to the program priority actions to address HIV/AIDS pandemic in country.
- Coordination and planning to ensure standardization of FASTER technical approaches, project goals and objectives for the FASTER project at the states level.
- Ensure successful startup of FASTER at the State level. Provide oversight to ensure the achievement of project objectives.
- Oversee administrative, operational and security aspects of the FASTER at the state office.
- Facilitate transparency among and between zonal and state FASTER staff to promote team coordination and effectiveness.
- Provide technical leadership for FASTER’s participation in and support of HIV and related Technical Working Group activities at the state level.
- Provide technical leadership for the development and timely completion of state report, annual SOWs, workplans and budgets at the state level.
- Lead the technical documentation of appropriate application of programmatic best practices.
- Utilize and develop appropriate tools to track program performance (site capacity assessment tool, regular financial analysis, treatment initiation, adherence monitoring/patient retention, etc.)
- In conjunction with the state team (community referral coordinator, Snr Technical Specialist M&E) and other key personnel, conduct periodic technical reviews, site visits and monitor progress towards achievement of program objectives at the state level.
Representation and Learning:
- In consultation with the Zonal Coordinator, represent the consortium on relevant technical forums including high level representation, advocacy and donor engagement as required
- Ensure necessary technical assistance and training is provided to partners to develop capacity to implement HIV/AIDS support activities as per the project requirement.
- Provide high level technical support for program innovation and learning; foster regular discussions with key stakeholders as appropriate; to facilitate cross sector learning on HIV, OVC and adolescent programs.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- A primary Medical qualification (MBBS) plus a Master's degree in Public Health or related Health discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience in HIV/AIDS programming
- Minimum 3 years in the developing world in project management positions with progressive management responsibilities.
- Experience working in PEPFAR pediatric HIV, OVC and adolescent programming.
- Strong background in program implementation; experience in supervising and providing technical assistance for roll-out of evidence-based HIV, OVC and adolescent programming strategies.
- Ability to work both in a team and independently and ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training
- Technical experience with programming to address gender concerns and programming for very young children and adolescents/youth required.
Required Foreign Language:
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of time
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Project Director, Technical and MEAL Directors and Nigeria Zonal Coordinator, FASTER Project Team
- External: NASCP, NACA, SASCP, SACA, HIV and OVC Program Implementing Partners
Agency Wide Competencies:
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfil his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results:
- Strategic Mindset
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Develops Talent
- Builds Relationships
- Accountability & Stewardship
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their filled Application Form and detailed Resume in a single file in PDF format using the Job Reference Code as the subject of the mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here to Download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click Here to For More Information (Pdf)
- The above job descriptions are not exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the positions.
- “CRS is an equal –opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc. Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”.
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.