The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on behalf of WorldFish seeks suitable applicants for the position below at the Institute’s Headquarters in Ibadan:
Administrative and Finance Officer
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Manage project financial records and work with the host organization to prepare monthly expenditures by ensuring that the expenditures are justified in accordance with the relevant provisions of the financial authorizations before submitting to WF Bangladesh office for data capture in OCS;
- Review project expenditure statements with Project Management and interact with Bangladesh lead Financial Management persons;
- Ensure expenditures are made in line with project work plan and budget and establish clear tracking system of budget utilization;
- Provide financial and logistical support to field activities and work closely with the project team to ensure funds disbursement to carry out project workshops are appropriately accounted for and liquidated timely;
- Assist in preparing and reviewing project activity budgets for workshops or any other event and prepare advance requests for cash disbursement;
- Review and monitor balance sheet accounts such as accounts receivables and payables and ensure timely liquidations of expenses;
- Perform bank related tasks including monthly bank reconciliations and prepare monthly project cash flow projections and funds requests for submission for funds replenishments;
- Provide general financial support as required for office management and project;
- Ensure procurement and settlement of all invoices is done in a timely manner with assistance from the Project Administrative Assistant;
- Prepare requests for supplier payments for submission to IITA and track payments to internal and external stakeholders;
- Ensure proper filing of financial records;
- Perform any other duties relevant to the Finance Officer’s role to ensure successful implementation of the project.
- B.Sc/HND in Finance, Accounting or related field with a minimum of five (5) years’ working experience preferably in a not-for-profit environment set up with understanding of project management.
- Possession of ACCA, CIMA, CPA or its equivalent is an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have proven skill and experience in areas of financial management, organization, supervisory, financial accounting, analytical and donor contract interpretation. Understanding of project management is an advantage.
- Be enthusiastic, independent, detail-minded, analytical and highly numerate.
- Have good English communication skills (oral and written).
- Be computer literate and proficiency in MS Excel and financial information systems; e.g. ERP, etc.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented multicultural environment.
- Have the ability to deliver accurate and timely reports.
- Be able to work with minimum supervision and with tight deadlines.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here for more Information (PDF)
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
Interested and qualified? Go to IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture career website on jobs.iita.org to apply