Senior Data Analyst at Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN)
Posted on: 10 June, 2019
Deadline: 12 June, 2019
View Jobs in ICT / Telecommunication
View All Jobs at Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN)
Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN) is a fast growing Software company with a vision to build an enduring organization with an ecosystem of value creators- while delivering high impact technology solutions for emerging markets through a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation. At VGN we wage war against the average, go beyond the ordinary to explore limitless opportunities; breaking the norms and aggressively pursuing success through- Relentless Hard-work, Pursuit of excellence, calculated risk taking and a hunger for knowledge and we have a lot of fun at it!
Senior Data Analyst
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Job Type: Full-time
- As a Senior Data Analyst, you will be a dedicated resource of a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) and as such will work directly in the SBU.
- All assigned task from the Analyst Competence Center will be targeted at personal development (and occasionally to cover for shortfalls in capacity).
- You will be tasked with learning sector/industry specific skills while also perfecting skills around Data Analyst competence and knowledge areas through training and practical approach to learning.
Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
- Metrics: Define and evaluate key business metrics and understand what moves them and why.
- Data Modelling: Design well-structured tables that are at the correct grain, format and structured for widespread use (e.g. using Kimball modelling and data normalisation techniques).
- Visualization: Use Looker to design actionable and insightful reporting.
- Insight and analysis: Support the marketing team to generate forecasts, realistic commercial targets and opportunity analysis.
- Analytical education: Hold training sessions and more to evangelise Power BI, R or Python and data analysis best practices throughout the company.
- Software Engineering Mindset: Automate tasks and work to deploy production standard code (with unit testing, continuous integration, versioning, clean code, DRY principles etc).
- Master Data: Managing master data, including creation, updates, and deletion. Including Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Reporting: Helping develop reports and analysis. Managing and designing the reporting environment, including data sources, security, and metadata. Generating reports from single or multiple systems.
- Technical Contribution: Providing technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
- Business insight: Understand complex business processes and break down fuzzy requirements into actionable segments.
- Stakeholder Management: Demonstrate maturity in the management of executive stakeholders and clients, always exceeding expectation set for continuous improvement.
- Multi-tasking: Prioritize workloads to balance conflicting priorities in order to ensure that all given deadlines are achieved to a high standard.
- Discipline, drive, depth understanding of a sector: Requires quick assimilation of the sectors / industries within the Company's portfolio
- Cross Functional Collaboration: Partner with Program / Product Managers, Engineers and Business Functions to provide valuable insights and success measurement
- Technical Documentation: Proven quality of technical Documentation, where required, showing attention to details and clarity with a maximum of 2 reviews. With almost zero iteration required.
What Success Looks Like:
- The business is able to drive actionable insight from its data creating a step change in business performance.
- Key dashboards and alerts are in high usage by Enterprise wide teams and drive daily actions.
- Reports and insight drive commercial and marketing strategy.
- Key commercial teams are trained on Power BI and data analysis and apply these practices and tools effectively in their day to day role.
- Forecasts are delivered on time and to a high level of accuracy.
- Coding (SQL primarily + Python and/or R), intermediate level
- Experience with relational databases, ETL and data acquisition
- Experience with manipulating flat files from Python
- Experience with data analytics: EDA, sampling, visualization, data cleaning / wrangling
- Experience with data warehousing and reporting tools
- Young, passionate and available to put in the long hours.
- B.Sc Certificate holder, Certification in a Business, Science, Mathematical or Technology related course
- 4-7 years’ work experience in a similar/relevant role from a reputable organization (Experience in Business Intelligence or Data Analyst roles is an advantage).
- An understanding of the role of a Business / Data Analyst in a Technology product and service company.
- Drives significant insight from information gathered on the VGG sector happenings and market trends.
- Above average level proficiency in the use of basic Microsoft office application/tools (MS Office, Visio, Smart draw, prototyping tools)
Added Considerations but not mandatory:
- Experience of data visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, SQL Report Service, Power BI and data modelling / design.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Google Analytics or other web analytics systems.
- Expertise in digital marketing analytics.
- Strong background in Mathematics or Statistics.
- Computer Science background
- A master's degree in a relevant field
- Sector Knowledge in Power, Aviation, Education or Finance
- Project Management Certification - PMI, Scrum
Skills & Abilities:
- Good Team player
- The right level of attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills
- Good time management skill
- Excellent Communications skills
- Speedy learner
- Ability to lead small - mid-sized project teams
- Dependable, shows dedication and hunger to learn
- Exhibits confidence and maturity in handling senior management and executives internally and externally.
- Personal Presentation and Brand Management skills
- Cross-functional/ Cross-Business Thinking skills
- Willing, ready and able to learn new skills on the go
- High emotional intelligence
- Self-driven and Self-motivated
- Empathetic and understanding
- Skilled motivator
- Organized and Focused.
- Working conditions: Flexibility is important.
- Equal opportunity: The role is open to anyone who meets the above criteria regardless of race or nationality
- Relocation options: Must be ready to relocate to Lagos.
Competitive based on experience
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Recent Jobs from Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN)
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Business Analyst at Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN)
- Know More About Venture Garden Nigeria (VGN)Similar Jobs
- Research Manager at Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
- Research Officer (Assistant Registrar II) (Research) at West African Examination Council - WAEC
- Data Analyst, Nigeria Monitoring Project at Management Systems International - MSI
- Research Specialist at Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
- Rearch and Training Executive at Attainables Edutainment Limited
- Intern (Project Assistant-Data Management) at International Organization for Migration - IOM
- Researcher at Amnesty International
- Data Analyst - Nigeria Integrated Health Program at Palladium Group