Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
Agronomist (Building Resilience in Complex Crisis (BRICC))
General Position Summary
- The Project Agronomist will be responsible for the implementation and monitoring of all agriculture related activities of the BRICC project the Economic Reintegration component of the BRICCS project.
- This role is very central to the implementation of the project. The role is central to the successful implementation of the BRICC.
- The post holder will also hold resource management, program planning, coordination, and COOPI representation responsibilities as well.
- Support the identification and registration of vulnerable smallholders farmers
- Identify/create farmer and livestock associations/cooperatives for strengthening
- Adapt Resilience Design in Smallholder Farming Systems to Yobe State needs
- Identify improved seed vendors in target LGAs
- Produce user friendly training manuals/guides on the production and reduction of post-harvest losses for various crops produced in North East Nigeria
- Facilitate training-of-trainer modules for Yobe State ADP extension services
- Develop knowledge dissemination plan for RD in smallholder agriculture with Yobe State Ministry of Agriculture,
- Facilitate conditional cash transfer or subsidy for purchase of improved seed products
- Premium-priced traders are linked to mature associations
- Provide business support services and facilitate business linkages for improved seed suppliers to increase ease of access and availability of improved seeds for smallholder farmers
- Ensure quality of agricultural inputs (seed viability, tools durability, etc.)
- Take lead in organizing agricultural input trade fairs
- Perform any other duties as directed by the Project Manager
- Ensure the timely preparation of regular week , monthly and quarterly reports
- Represent COOPI in meetings and conferences as requested by the Project Manager.
- Contribute to institutional learning project through experience sharing, documentation, and review and planning.
- Degree in Agronomy/Relevant training
- Experience in Farmers Training
- Two- three years’ experience in related work
- Experience/knowledge in Climate-Smart Agriculture
- Experience in participatory methodologies
- Good computing skills, including MS Word and Excel
- Past experience in facilitating training of trainers
- Knowledge in developing training curriculum
- Experience working with International NGOs
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong initiative, flexible and able to plan and implement work plan with minimum supervision
- Awareness of security matters and protocols
- Willingness to take challenges and to work in difficult conditions
- Courtesy and sensitivity in working with communities
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote where services are limited
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri, and English
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.