The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- IITA seeks to recruit an Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist. The overall objective of the position is to lead strategic and applied research on market economics on IITA mandate crops and related activities.
- The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists and biophysical scientists as needed such as agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists.
- He/she will be a member of the IITA Social Science and Agribusiness Core Competency. He/she will report to the Senior Agricultural Economist and to Director of Western Africa Hub.
- Conduct market economic studies of commodities along the value chain.
- Monitor economic changes in agriculture in relation to the markets and vice versa.
- Devise methods and procedures to conduct different types of markets surveys and value chain assessments.
- Create, as well as use, various econometric modeling techniques to develop forecasts.
- Apply models of economic behavior to agricultural markets changes and developments.
- Promote market development using experimental economic methods.
- Develop business plans for project and activities in commodity value chains.
- Establish and foster relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Provide technical backstopping and assistance in building capacity of national programs in research on market economics.
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research.
- Publish scientific outputs in peer reviewed IF journals and others (e.g. technical reports, IITA bulletins, or social media and books or book chapters).
- Contribute to resource mobilization through development of concept notes and proposals in collaboration with others.
- Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a PhD in Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university.
- He/she will demonstrate experience of at least three years in markets economic studies relating to agricultural issues, preferably in Africa.
- Good knowledge of market studies.
- Competence in the development of socio-economic and/or market surveys.
- Ability to perform thoughtful critical analysis on market economics related data.
- Conversant with tools and approaches applied in market studies.
- Knowledge and experience with economic evaluation of agricultural technologies.
- Familiarity with statistical software used in market studies.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in market related journals.
- Experience with resource mobilization.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa is an added advantage.
The initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here for more Information (PDF)
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.