Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist person on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria m 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager
Reports To: MEAL Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Job Ref Code: MEM170419
Full JD Link: http://bit.ly/2KNhlNv
Primary Job Responsibilities
Under the direction of the MEAL Coordinator, the MEAL Manager will lead all MEAL related FFP activities including, but not limited to: monitoring progress on project indicators, elaboration of M&E tools, conducting needs/market/post activity assessments, beneficiary database management, recalibration of beneficiary targeting at project mid-point, development and implementation of accountability mechanism as well as compilation of monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly reports. The MEAL Manager will be based in Maiduguri with frequent trips to the project areas in the Northeast (including Yobe State) and will report to the MEAL Coordinator but will also work closely with the Program Managers and Emergency Coordinator for technical support.
- Design and manage Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning system with the support from MEAL Coordinator.
- Develop or adapt project specific MEAL tools and carry out field testing where necessary.
- Track donor and CRS reporting requirements and deadlines and provide MEAL information to Program Managers and Emergency Coordinators for drafting reports.
- Document learning to inform program quality development
- Determine role of all actors involved in providing technical support to project monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide direct and supportive supervision over MEAL unit staff, particularly the M&E Officers, Accountability Assistant, MEAL Assistant etc. and ensure that coaching and performance plans are completed on time and with adherence to CRS talent management quality standards.
- Assist MEAL Coordinator to ensure consistency of standards, harmonization of information and input from beneficiaries and sharing of learnings.
- Verify data for completeness, correctness and consistency and follow up on any data/program quality issues.
- Support Program Managers and MEAL Officers in conducting regular MEAL field visits to collect data with the help of partners, assess the application of MEAL tools, and assist in preparation of monthly/quarterly report to donors and CRS office.
- Identify bottlenecks in the program MEAL systems, recommend appropriate solutions and ensure follow-through.
- Promote the use of Information Communication Technology for Emergencies (ICT4E) solutions throughout the project or digital data collection.
- Ensure regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring further attention; (3) define action needed and assign responsibility and deadlines- are conducted and prepare report.
- Identify, document, store and share lessons learned (this includes success story too) that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice.
- Ensure that the cross-cutting themes such as gender and protection are integrated in the partners’ MEAL plans and systems.
- Conduct and document end of project learning reviews and share learning with stakeholders.
- Ensure ethical and safe collection and storage of data.
Qualifications and Skills:
- University degree, preferably in statistics, information management, management, social sciences or related fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, preferably in humanitarian or development context.
- Proven track record and experience in developing M&E plan, systems and database using MS office applications (Excel or Access) and software applications.
- Strong knowledge and proven experience on developing and analyzing logical and conceptual framework.
- Ability to train partners and staff on developing and maintaining the M&E system.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Knowledge of Kanuri, Hausa and other relevant local languages is appreciated.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships.
- Demonstrable understanding of and commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of vulnerable people.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to CRS’s values and guiding principles.
- Ability to manage complex workloads and deliver work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to travel frequently and stay in difficult environments
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: MEAL Officers, Accountability Assistant, MEAL Coordinator, MEAL Assistant, Program Officers, ICT4E team, Program Managers, Emergency Coordinator, Operations Staff
External: Local partners, Red Rose team, enumerators, external consultants and other key stakeholders
Supervision: The MEAL Manager supervises the 2 FFP MEAL Officer based in Maiduguri and Damaturu.
Travel: Travel up to 20% of the time as needed.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should download the CRS Application Form using the link in the job description fill and send with a detailed resume as one document in pdf indicating position being applied for and the Job Ref Code as the subject of the application (e.g. Program Assistant – Borno, PAB181018)
Completed applications are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline for submission is COB (i.e. 5:00pm), April 30, 2019.
Equal Employer Opportunity:
“CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’