Safety and Security Assistant at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Posted on: 14 March, 2019
Deadline: 28 March, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at International Rescue Committee (I
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Safety and Security Assistant
Requisition ID: req4212
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Safety & Security
Scope of Work
- Under the technical supervision of Safety and Security Liaison Manager, and direct supervision of the Base Manager, the Safety & Security Assistant will assist in building up the capacity, awareness and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular trainings or briefings to national and international staff and IRC visitors within the area of responsibility.
- The SSA will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with Program and Operations support teams at the Field level. He/she will form a wide web of network to proactively collate and source for relevant security information.
- The SSA will assist Base Manager and Safety and Security Team in conducting collaborative security risk assessments with all field based staff in line with the standard IRC security management structures.
- The SSA will support Base Office Manager in enforcement and implementation of existing SOPs and other risk mitigation plans guided by the acceptance, protection and deterrence strategies.
- The SSA will act as a liaison link between IRC and other external security functionaries within the areas of responsibility, represent IRC in security forums as directed by supervisor to objectively ensure that the operations and program needs of IRC are well addressed.
- Continuously monitoring of the environment in the operational areas for which he/she is responsible. As required, and at a minimum of once per quarter, support Safety and Security Liaison Manager and Safety and Security Coordinator in updating the FSMPs, CIMP and SOPs.
- Ensure that the Base Office FSMP and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly, and staff constantly kept aware of their contents.
- Brief, supervise and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guards to ensure the guard force is aware of IRC SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- Accompany program staff on field missions on as need basis in order to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by IRC staff in the field
- Liaise with government, Army, Police, SSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that IRC staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas
- Regularly coordinate with peer organization safety staff/focal points to get the current contextual information.
- Ensure that Hibernation, Relocation and Evacuation plans are updated for the area of responsibility with the support of Safety and Security Liaison Manager and the SSC alike.
- Using standard trainings developed by SSC, conduct regular refresher trainings to IRC staff on personal safety, VHF communication, fire prevention, defensive driving among others.
- Prepare weekly reports for the Base office and update data on available incident data tools.
- Submitting when required email immediate advisories to Gwoza Field staff when significant security incidents occur. This will include updating and testing on a bi-weekly basis the IRC SMS warden system.
- Submit formal post incident reports to the Base Manager, Field Coordinator, Safety and Security Manager and Safety and Security Coordinator.
- Work closely with the Base Manger, to ensure that Security Focal Group (SFG) meeting are held and minutes submitted to SSC as required.
- During a critical incident at he/she will support the Base Managers in critical incident management giving all the required support as outlined in the CIMP.
- The SSA will be available 24/7 to respond to any staff concerns or incidents that might require urgent attention.
- Track and monitor IRC staff movement within the areas of responsibility and report any movement breaches to SSC.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: The Base Manager
- Position directly supervises: Security Guards
- Indirect Reporting: Safety and Security Liaison Manager
- A Higher National Diploma in Security Management/Disaster Management/Military Science/Social Sciences/ Public Administration/ International Relations or a field related to humanitarian work or risk management.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and internet)
- Competency in using and maintaining field-based communications systems (HF, VHF radios and Satellite phones).
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local north east language is highly desired.
- Training in First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Competent report writing skills.
- Disaster management and response training.
- Experience in the security Outfit will be an added advantage
- 1-2 years’ security-related experience with UN/INGOs operating in the North East Nigeria either in safety and security or logistics.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in security related subjects, threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge will be required as proof.
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environments and situations.
- Experience in developing safety related technical tools, guidelines and systems
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Sound judgment and the ability to under minimal supervision
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Flexibility and ability to work long hours.
- The position is located in Gwoza Base Office - situated in northeast Nigeria.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 12 Months.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for an Interview.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. However, female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Recent Jobs from International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Hotline Handler at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Know More About International Rescue Committee (IRC)Similar Jobs
- Security Guard at Sarepta Nigeria Limited
- Security Operations Support Officer - NOA at World Food Programme (WFP)
- Deputy Safety Advisor at International NGO Safety Organisation
- Security Guard at Security Outsorcing Ltd
- Chief Security Officer (CSO) at Security Outsorcing Ltd
- Security Supervisor at Security Outsorcing Ltd
- Security Guard at ValueFronteira Limited
- Internal Security Guard at Animal Care Services Consult