Community Nutrition Supervisor (Volunteers) at Save The Children
Posted on: 4 December, 2018
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Save The Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
Community Nutrition Supervisor (Volunteers)
- This role domiciled in nutrition Projects, provides supervision to Community Nutrition Volunteers and Field Assistants in providing direct services to beneficiaries in the Project’s Communities implementing nutrition interventions (Community Management of Malnutrition [CMAM] MUAC screening and referral and Infant and Young Child Feeding [IYCF]) as agreed with the donor.
- The community nutrition mobilizers with community supervisors and SCI nutrition staff will work in ensuring quality delivery of nutrition interventions in the Project locations.
Qualifications Experience and Skills
- Diploma certificate in Nursing/ Midwifery, Social Work or Community/ Public Health Extension Work or related fields - Required.
- Minimum of 4-years post-graduation work experience with a health facility in a rural setting or working with vulnerable populations in conflict-affected communities is an added Advantage.
- Experience in Community Based management of acute malnutrition and infant and young child feeding
- Competence with the use of MS application packages (Word, Excel and database software) email and utilization of the internet and report writing.
- Familiarity with the local with culture of typical communities.
- Strong leadership, coordination, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver SCI’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Strong communication skills: (verbal and written).
- Good fieldwork skills with good understanding of organization’s project area.
- Ability to maintain good relationship with the local community leadership and community members.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- S/he will facilitate community mobilization/sensitization campaigns in collaboration with Community Nutrition Mobilizers and field Assistants
- Orient community nutrition Mobilizers and field assistants on community mobilization component of CMAM.
- Ensure community nutrition Mobilizers/ field assistants clearly understand admission criteria to the CMAM programme
- Train community nutrition mobilizers, Mothers to use MUAC tape accurately, and know how to check for oedema. Check accuracy periodically.
- Through liaison with CNMs and nutrition officer, ensure home follow up of all absentees, defaulters, deaths and children “at risk” is carried out by to the community nutrition mobilizers/ field assistants and post visit feedback is given to the OTP health workers.
- Supervise the activities of community nutrition mobilizers/ field assistants in all locations allocated to ensure quality implementation of activities and ensure communities are sensitised to the programme as quickly as possible.
- Plan and organise weekly and monthly activities in the areas of supervision
- Support the development and execution of the monthly nutrition implementation plans for the communities supported.
- Support formation of new Mother Support Groups and organize meetings for already existing Mother Support Group meetings to strengthen them and ensure that IYCF messages are communicated regularly.
- Participate in capacity-building and demonstration activities with project staff
- Maintain open line of communication with the beneficiaries to obtain feedback, complaints and work with the team to maintain a log of the feedback/ complaints and come up with corrective actions.
- Represent Save the children at any relevant community related/ liaison fora
- Actively participate in nutrition surveys done at the Community level
Method of Application
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received and also Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date if considered necessary. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not use a third party for employment and also does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
Interested and qualified? Go to Save The Children career website on savethechildrenng.simplicant.com to apply
- Know More About Save The ChildrenSimilar Jobs
- Deputy Chief of Party, Nigeria at Management Sciences For Health - MSH
- Head of Monitoring and Evaluation at IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
- Consortium Lead at Plan International
- MEAL Assistant at Catholic Relief Services
- Consultancy for Multi Sector Needs Assessment in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States at Plan International
- M&E Volunteer at PACT
- M&E Volunteer at PACT
- Midwives at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)