Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in eleven of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
Human Resources and Administration Officer
INSO Lake Chad Basin Regional Office:
Since becoming registered in Nigeria in 2016, INSO has developed a strong regional approach, supporting NGOs working on the Lake Chad Basin Crisis from all neighbouring countries. The coordination office, which is based in Abuja, oversees two operational offices in Maiduguri, Nigeria and in Maroua, Cameroon. Another sub-office in the Diffa region of Niger is expected to open during the first quarter 2018.
We are currently seeking an experienced humanitarian professional to join our team in Nigeria office as a HR & Administration Officer.
Reporting to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, the Human Resources and Administration Officer will be responsible for providing efficient and effective human resource and administrative support to the operations of INSO Nigeria.
- Knowledge of Labour law and INSO rules
- Ensures INSO HR internal regulations related to HR are applied in INSO offices
- Liaise directly with lawyers and local authorities
- Keeps an updated knowledge on Nigerian labour law in order to ensure compliance
- Prepares all correspondence with local authorities (i.e. tax office, ministry of labour) in order to maintain flow and soft relationships
Recruitment, On Boarding and Off Boarding
- Supports line managers in the full cycle of the recruitment process (need analysis, vacancy announcement, CVs selection, interview/written test, etc) ensuring administrative and legal accuracy, in other to meet HR needs
- Prepares and archive formal certificates and other HR documents required to support a transparent recruitment process
- Organises the general induction process for newly hired staff (local and expat) and take the lead in the induction related to National Staff regulations, HR policies and benefits
- Ensures that clearance procedures are followed for departing staff members
- Keeps a good knowledge of labour market in terms of profiles available, level of qualifications or request labour market studies and benchmarking studies
HR Legal Documents
- Prepares employment contract and amendments in conformity with legal requirements and available templates
- Monitors probationary period and contract’s end date and inform managers about deadlines
- Prepares any other relevant HR documentation (termination letter, warning letter, acting allowance, etc) and seek the appropriate signature approval.
Assist in the draft of job description and in the update of the Function Grid
- Ensures that HR files contain the mandatory documentation according to the internal checklist
- Keeps HR files constantly updated and organised, in a secure place
- Keeps updated the HR Database
- Ensures that staff arriving/departing from the country office (CO) has the appropriate documentation (Visa, INSO Card, etc).
- Inform INSO staff list about new staff/visitor’s arrival with contact number and mail
- Facilitate the obtaining of visas for staff and monitors their expiration date and renewal
Leave and Timesheet
- Maintains and updates a system which monitors the absence of staff
- Informs managers about holidays balance of their staff
- Ensures proper completion and filing of Timesheets and Leave forms, and liaise with Finance department for payroll purposes (pay slip)
- Supports the HRAM to draw up annual holiday planning in order to schedule staff shifts and cover operational needs
- Informs expat on R&R conditions and keeps the corresponding filing updated
- Provides administrative support to managers regarding staff performance evaluations
- Coordinate learning and development activities for staff such as training sessions, knowledge sharing meetings, etc.
- Focal point for consultation about insurance policy for local staff
- Keeps the insurance company updated with new staff arrivals and departure of staff
- Collecting, calculating, and entering new, current and exit staff data in order to maintain and update payroll information
- Prepares monthly variations/adjustment for payroll
- Ensures salaries are paid between 25th and 30th of every month
- Responds to employee inquiries as regards to payroll and escalate to the finance team as regards to payment.
Communication and Representation
- Represents INSO in meetings with authorities and other NGOs for HR administration related issues
- Keeps updated the HR board in country offices and ensures good communication of HR matters among staff
- Keeps updated the Staff database and Contact list
- Works in close collaboration with the Field Office Administrator in order to ensure compliance on HR matters
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Business, HR Management or administration related studies
- At least 2 years’ experience in Human Resources with strong background in recruitment process and payroll management
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Desirable experience with INSO or other NGOs
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
Key Personal Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- High level of confidentiality and integrity
- Experience working under high pressure, in a fast-paced environment
- Strong service orientation with the ability to proactivity approach clients to understand their needs and to find effective solution
- Strong organisational skills ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner
- Proven managerial skills and ability to motivate and inspire team.
Method of Application
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to email@example.com by 10 December 2018 and reference “INSO HRAO-Abuja” in the subject line of your email.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
- Up to date CV (3-page maximum).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB.