FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve improving lives for millions.
Senior Contracts & Grants Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervisor: Finance Manager
Job Type: Full time
- The Senior Contracts & Grants Officer is responsible for managing and supporting the grants activities of the Addressing Education in Northeast Nigeria (AENN) Project, a three-year, $14 million education program funded by USAID and managed by FHI 360.
- The C&G Officer will oversee and monitor the implementation of activities, reporting, communications, and other functions to ensure successful execution of AENN-awarded grants in Borno and Yobe states.
- Reporting to the project’s Finance Manager, the position requires a someone who is knowledgeable about USAID rules and regulations, Fixed Obligation Grant (FOG) and standard (cost reimbursable) grant structures and is able to effectively supervise and support AENN’s grant administration.
- To ensure a well-managed and supervised grants program, which will include working with current grantees to closely monitor activities across states, assist in program realignments as necessary to support AENN objectives, review and approve milestones and invoices, and oversee the close-out and start-up of all grants in compliance with FHI 360 and donor requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct routine monitoring and evaluation of grantee activities, validating and documenting activities, providing clear feedback in areas which may require improvement to achieve AENN program goals, and safeguarding against any potential or perceived misuse of funds.
- Organize and maintain meticulous records for each grantee, tracking and ensuring all necessary documentation (including individual grant agreements, milestones certifications, and payment requests/vouchers) are on file and are implemented on schedule.
- Act as primary contact point for all AENN grantees regarding technical inputs, progress on implementation, grant award inquiries, deliverables and milestones, budgets, payments, documentation, and compliant grant close-out.
- Serve as liaison between grantees, AENN technical/financial staff, and the FHI 360 Country Office/HQ to clearly document and address any necessary issues or challenges encountered during grant implementation.
- Work closely with individual grantees to identify and rectify any delays or problems encountered in the implementation of the grants, ensuring issues are reported immediately to the Finance and Administrative Manager and appropriate technical managers.
- Participate in the design and solicitation process for future awards as well as the selection of additional grantees; assume a lead role to ensure the process is well-managed and conducted in a timely manner so as to eliminate administrative funding gaps between each new set of grant awards.
- Ensure grantee adherence to FHI 360 and donor funding requirements and act as a mentor as needed on USAID/FHI 360 regulations.
- Assist headquarters staff (back-stop and Contracting Officer) with accurate tracking and reporting for federally-mandated reports as they relate to recipients of US Government funding.
- Manage the compliant close-out of grants awarded by the AENN Project.
- Oversee the coordination of timely payment based on approved milestones; work closely with grantees to enable CBOs to complete any delayed or incomplete milestones.
- Assist with the financial oversight and review/processing of payment documentation (receipts) for any cost reimbursable AENN grants (standard grants) as necessary.
- Collaborate with program staff to establish the program’s annual objectives and outline how to allocate the budget.
- Design and deliver assistance and training as appropriate for future (FY19/20) grants programs to educate grantees on grant mechanism-specific (ie, FOG or standard grant) US Government regulations and requirements and provide mentorship in writing grant proposals, budgets, and obtaining donor funding.
- Draft regular reports on the grantees’ progress and activities for senior and technical management as well as appropriate staff at Washington, DC headquarters.
- Contribute to project work plans, budgets, and annual/quarterly reporting.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
Qualifications and Experiences
- BSc. in Business Administration, Accounting or related field and 5 - 7 years relevant experience;
- Or MSc./MBA with 3 - 5 years relevant experience in an NGO setting.
- 2 years of experience in a managerial role required.
- Prior experience working for an international NGO strongly preferred.
- Experience and good working knowledge of USAID and other US Government organizations’ rules and regulations is required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with grant-making mechanisms and grantee management; experience administering FOGs is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of and prior experience with US Government rules, requirements, and regulations (such as familiarity with ADS 303) on solicitations and second-tier funding by prime recipients.
- Ability to effectively work independently.
- High-level organization and documentation skills, including the ability to track and manage the activities of others (grantees).
- Ability and willingness to travel outside of Maiduguri.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Excellent diplomatic and communication skills, including strong written and oral abilities in English.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Method of Application
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Interested and qualified? Go to fhi 360 career website on fhi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com to apply