Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
- The Communications Coordinator will work with SFCG's management and program teams to develop and implement an effective communication strategy. S/he will focus on strengthening internal and external communications, including writing and editing publications such as briefs ,reports, newsletters website; documenting success stories and case studies; and working with media to promote Search Nigeria and tell our story, build strategic relationships and provide direction for positive narratives.
- S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Country Director and in close coordination with the Media Manager and Program Managers and Coordinators. The position will be based in Abuja and will include frequent field travels.
About The Nigeria Program
- We launched our programs in Nigeria in 2004. Now in 2018, the country program has offices in Abuja, Jos, Maiduguri, and Yola. We work with partners in target states of the country to support peaceful resolution of conflict. Each program is adapted to specific local context and conflicts, and all apply common ground tools from our toolbox.
- Search has established a permanent presence in Abuja as an operational base and all our Nigeria offices are currently supporting a host of programs with activities that include capacity building, dialogues, peace architecture, media programming, participatory theatre and collaborative joint activities.
Roles and Responsibilities
30% - Communications - Social Media/Network engagement/Content production:
- Manage and produce written and visual/multimedia content and publications, including newsletters, bulletin, success stories, case studies for email, website, and social media networks to raise the visibility of Search Nigeria and ensure that our messaging is unified
- Capture photos and short video during project activities on the field and maintain library media ,
- Increase SFCG Nigeria’s online presence by growing its audience and increasing engagement through social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube.)
- Participate in key social media and Search-wide communications team meetings.
- Plan and manage projects that use photography, video, and/or other multimedia storytelling to support Search Nigeria’s work. Potential projects could include producing short web videos or infographics on timely issues, supervising design consultant work, and designing flyers.
- Explore other innovative channels to promote Search brand and projects and timely share of information to partners, donors and other key stakeholders.
40% - Program Coordination:
- Develop and incorporate new communications tools and creative dissemination strategies to strengthen the Search Nigeria’s programming.
- Provide communications support during outreach events e.g producing materials, livestream on social media or coordinating a press conference for project activities in target states
- Keep track of current issues and strategies in peacebuilding to leverage opportunities for Search’s communications.
- Build the capacity of program teams and other staff in Search Nigeria HQ and field offices on communications policies, procedures and best practices; Search Nigeria brand, messages and values
- Communicate with target groups, communities, partners and stakeholders to understand and address the program’s end-user information and communications needs;
30% - Communications - Media Relations:
- Develop and maintain relations with national and international media and coordinate with SFCG HQ in order to ensure maximum coverage of SFCG events and projects in Nigeria;
- Draft press releases and maintain accurate media database.
- Track news coverage of Search Nigeria and its key issues.
- Prepare presentations and speeches for public events and manage stakeholders’ database and invitations;
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Development Studies, Marketing or related field; Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in outreach, communications for development, advocacy, social marketing,, media and public relations, and campaigning preferably with an I/NGO;
- Experience in commissioning, procuring, contracting, developing and producing marketing/campaign/advertising materials and products; good working knowledge of media buying will be an asset;
- Understanding of and experience in harnessing traditional and social media for awareness-raising and advocacy, social media savvy;
- Strong command of English language, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent copywriting skills for social media and other digital platforms
- Demonstrated ability Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Excellent knowledge of design programs such as In-Design, Illustrator and Photoshop; knowledge of G Suite and Mailchimp is an advantage
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to produce high quality written materials for different audience;
- Creative writing, editing, photography, presentation, public speaking and active listening skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency in digital and print graphic design, layout and publishing
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to collaborate with multiple offices within an organization and interact with partners, contractors and other stakeholders at senior level.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and communicate highly technical information to both expert and lay audiences, and achieve consensus on communications policy, project, research, and administrative matters.
- Proactive, creative, entrepreneurial and collaborative; ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
Method of Application
- Interested candidates will send the following:
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please note that the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- As the above job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
Interested and qualified? Go to Search For Common Ground’s International career website on sfcg.bamboohr.com to apply