Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
Deputy Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Manager
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC), later adding Primary Health Care and Nutrition activities. This initial intervention was focused on populations living in MMC. The progressive sectorial widening allowed to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in Bolori II in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In 2018, PUI will further develop its comprehensive response by adding Outreach/Protection and WaSH to the existing country program in Bolori II, and will scale up its intervention with the opening of Kukawa LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. The same donors will support the 2018 intervention. In parallel, PUI is supporting the coordination mechanisms and is running the common logistics platform for all humanitarian actors funded by the logistics cluster (WFP) since 2016, and the partnership has been renewed to this date.
PUI is now looking for its MEAL team inMaiduguri.
POSITION GENERAL INFORMATION
- Position: Deputy MEAL Manager
- Based in: Maiduguri
Under the supervision of the meal manager, the deputy meal manager will support and assist the monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (meal) manager in the design, implementation and supervision of PUI's meal activities in the field and work closely with the different program teams, in the collection and documentation of meal information emanating from program implementation. The deputy meal manager will also support the meal manager in the training of program and meal teams on the use of meal tools and quantitative and qualitative methodologies and in the implementation of the monitoring processes and protocols including support in program assessments, surveys and evaluations. S/he will assist the meal manager in compiling information to build on PUI’s institutional knowledge and produce capitalization reports for PUI.
RESPONSABILITIES AND TASKS
- MEAL: She/he will implement all MEAL field-related activities;
- Logistics and Administration: She/he will express and anticipate logistical and administrative needs related to MEAL activities he or she is implementing;
- Capacity building: He/she will build the technical capacities of internal and external staffs on different MEAL concepts and data collection and survey methodologies related to all programs implemented by PUI.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE AND LINKED ACTIVITIES
Implementation and supervision of M&E activities:
- Assist the MEAL Manager in Designing and managing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning systems through providing high-quality technical support to Program and MEAL teams.
- Actively participate in the development of project logical frameworks to ensure objectives are clearly constructed and indicators are SMART and respond to activities (process), results (outputs) and specific objectives (outcome).
- Assist the MEAL manager in maintaining and updating the Global M&E Plan for on-going programs and new programs, including timeframe of activities, data collection methodology, tools to be used and expected delivery.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in designing and regularly updating project M&E guidelines and tools and in Building the capacity of program teams to use the tools including survey design, sampling, data analysis, and reporting.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in designing and carrying out MEAL surveys including PDMs, evaluations, baselines and other assessments related to PUI projects.
- Verify data for completeness, correctness and consistency and follow up on any data/program quality issues prior to sharing with MEAL Manager.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in managing the KOBO platform for the mission and assisting in the roll-out of mobile data collection within the mission to include training, troubleshooting and support for the use of KOBO in the field.
- Coordinate regular MEAL field visits to assess data collection and quality control activities including the application of MEAL tools and assist in the preparation of monthly/quarterly reports to donors and PUI headquarters.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in identifying bottlenecks in the MEAL systems and recommend appropriate solutions and ensure follow-through.
- Support the MEAL manager in close coordination with program teams to ensure the follow-up of programs indicators.
Implementation of ACCOUNTABILITY MECHANISM
- Support the Meal Manager in leading the development, expansion and implementation of a feedback and response mechanism with channels that reflect the preferences of community members and beneficiaries across all sectors of PUI interventions.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in designing and managing processes that ensure the active participation and involvement of community leaders and beneficiaries in all projects and MEAL activities throughout the project cycle.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in implementing project specific accountability requirements including accountability needs for distribution interventions.
- Support the meal manager in provide facilitation and orientation to program staff, partners and communities on the basic principles and practices of beneficiary accountability.
- Assist and support the MEAL Manager in reporting all negative feedback or lack of accountability, protection issues or “do no harm” policy breaches to respective technical coordinators or appropriate pathways.
Learning and Institutional Building
- Assist and support the MEAL Manager in identifying, documenting and sharing with donors, partners and beneficiaries lessons learned and best practices, including success stories that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practices.
- Assist the MEAL Manager in ensuring that lessons learned and recommendations in all technical sectors are addressed in the design of new projects and discussed during project planning meetings and during periodic program reviews and ultimately fed into current work and future proposal development.
- use lessons learnt combined with field experience to provide contributions and feedback during the design phases of field tools, evaluations, surveys and assessments
- participate actively in team workshops and lessons learnt seminars
Internal and external reporting
- Regularly update the meal manager and program managers on achievements and challenges encountered in the field
- Verbally contribute and participate in coordination meetings at the meal department level, as well as at the base level in collaboration with the meal manager, including accurate reporting on successes and challenges encountered by the meal team
- Ensure that all data collected goes through a data cleaning and validation processes
- Develop reports that synthesize and synchronize initial key finding (needs) and results (outputs/outcomes)
Communication & Follow up
- Respond to beneficiaries’ queries with good knowledge of relevant information when approached
- Respond to any requests within PUI that might require an alternative communication method or plan of action
- Represent PUI on the field and with beneficiaries by providing information on services provided by PUI or otherwise, referring cases/needs to appropriate partners and sectors.
- Represent PUI and the MEAL department in internal and external meetings, trainings, workshops, working groups, and donor visits.
- Ensure constant communication with PUI program teams to have an in-depth understanding of PUI programs activities
- Attend base meetings/other internal/external meetings to receive or present updates on behalf of or on request by the MEAL manager
Logistics & Administration
- Perform administrative support activities for the MEAL Manager including, but not limited to, preparation of meetings, recording of minutes, verbal and written translation.
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools related to MEAL activities.
- Manage the supply of materials to the field sites in collaboration with logistics department.
- Provide quality supervision, mentoring and coaching to the MEAL staff and ensure that coaching and performance plans are completed on time and with adherence to PUI standards.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: fluent in Hausa and English (speaking/reading/writing) and basic knowledge of Kanuri is a plus
- Education degree: at least a bachelor/master degree in social sciences, statistics, mathematics, demography, sociology, research or a numeracy discipline.
- Work experience: at least five years similar experience with international and local NGOs, CBOs and Private Companies
- Knowledge & skills: good analytical and writing skills/very good team spirit/Demonstrate willingness to improve own knowledge and skills by actively participating in any training sessions and capacity building activities.
- Computer skills: knowledge of the MS office software (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and a basic understanding of data analysis packages such as SPSS, STATA, Epi-Info etc.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the use of ODK platform and mobile data collection.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the use of kobo humanitarian toolbox (design of forms; management of data via the platform).
- Strong training/capacity-building skills
- Strong motivation to work in the humanitarian sector
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Strong motivation for conflict resolution and diplomacy
- TRANSVERSAL SKILLS
- Well organized and attention to detail
- Ability/willingness to work within a team
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) career website on forms.office.com to apply