The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Senior Project Assistant (MM/AVRR)
SVN No.: SVN2018/105
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (AVRR)
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach. This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM) and Head of Sub Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (MM/AVRR) the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation and monitoring of reintegration support provided to the returning migrants under the EUTF-IOM joint initiatives for Migrant Protection and Reintegration for Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Collect and provide necessary information and assists in planning, preparing, organizing and implementing all aspects of the project activities on strengthening implementation of reintegration initiatives.
- Support the National Officer MM/AVRR in the implementation of activities under AVRR, which can include, but is not limited to, tasks ranging from logistical, technical and administrative assistance in organizing workshops and meetings, participation in meetings with project partners, government counterparts and relevant stakeholders etc.
- Support reporting and exchange of information on all programmatic aspects of the projects between IOM, the programme’s donors and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the in design and preparation of training materials, case studies and information materials;
- Support in the preparation of reports on project activities according to IOM and donor formats as required, contribute to and/or prepare weekly progress updates on project activities.
- Coordinate the training activities for strategic and operational level actors, including identification of trainers and consultants for business trainings et al;
- Liaise with relevant governmental and non-governmental entities, international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for effective implementation of the activities of project and participate in coordination meetings on return and reintegration with governments, NGOs and other stakeholders where required.
- Support the National Officer MM/AVRR in facilitation of meetings with the national stakeholders on return and reintegration and ensure that reintegration actors are involved in the implementation of the government-driven SoP.
- Coordinate activities of technical co-operation in order to strengthen the assistance network for reintegration of returnees, protection and support;
- Contribute to creative ideas for further programme development and draft project proposals, programme background, strategy papers, objectives, project reviews and evaluation;
- Track project expenditures in coordination with with Resource Management Unit and report accordingly;
- In coordination with the National Officer MM/AVRR, implement information provision activities focusing on reintegration support under existing project;
- Prepare narrative reports on project implementations by verifying the performance of project outputs and defined activities in line with implementation work plans and set objectives;
- Support the development of tracking tools based on agreed indicators for tracking the implementation of reintegration projects being carried out by the returnees.
- Provide guidance and supervision to Project Assistants
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or equivalent in Economics, Management, Social Work, Demography and Statistics, International Development, Law and other related Social Sciences
- Minimum of four years of experience for those with University Degree and above or minimum of six years with high school diploma in the field of migration including operational and field experience or related field, preferably within the International Humanitarian Field;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory;
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous;
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages
- diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational
- principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises
- careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to "Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)"and with a subject line "SVN2018.116 Lagos. Project Assistant (MM/CT) G4".
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted