Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Mental Health and Psychosocial Services Advisor (M/F)
Fixed-term contract : 9 months
Starting date: January 2019
- For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
- Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
- MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
- Violence in the northeast of Nigeria has caused massive displacement and at the same time restricted movement. It has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state.
- As of 3rd August, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from Borno state, 1.63 million of them actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
- MdM has started since October 2016 an emergency response to this crisis, in the Borno state. In 2018, MdM strategy in Borno state focuses on improving access to:
- Free comprehensive primary healthcare services
- Quality nutrition treatment for malnourished children
- Mental health and psychosocial support
- Lifesaving medical care, holistic referral services for survivors of gender based violence
- Under the supervision of the medical coordinator, you are ensuring the quality of mental health and psychosocial services (MHPSS) activities.
More specifically, your responsibilities are to:
- Develop the strategy and mechanisms to integrate a mental health and psychosocial support into MdM programs
- Manage daily program, including planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Conduct routine project needs assessments and program reviews
- Provide technical support in developing and reviewing MHPSS training packages
- Ensure that all MdM staff receive appropriate and adequate MHPSS orientation
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MHPSS programs
- Take a lead in MHPSS program development and new proposal writing
- Implement sustainability strategy, ensuring community engagement, mobilization and capacity development in an effort to hand over services to the local community
- Contribute to develop and implement integrated referrals mechanism
- Propose adaptations regarding the program if needed
- Establish systematic data collection for reports
- Coordinate with the medical coordinator and the gender based violence coordinator to address the protection issues for the beneficiaries
- Manage the MHPSS team, evaluate their capacities and train them
- Draft and update job descriptions
- Conduct interviews with the MHPSS staff candidates and actively participate in the recruitment process
- Participate to the coordination meeting and represent MdM in relevant external meetings
- Clinical Psychologist Diploma
- Significant experience on a similar position and in conflict/post conflict context
- Knowledge of public health issues
- Strong organizational and supervisory skills
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities, government authorities, INGO and UN agencies
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Hard-working and self-motivated
- Patience and stress management
- Ability to work with minimum support
- Capacity to take initiatives to changing requirements
- Good communication skills
- Languages: Fluent in English written and spoken, French is a plus
- You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
Conditions of Employment
- 22.5 RTT per year
- 5 weeks of paid leaves per year
- Break policy
- Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
- Insurance (repatriation…)
- Single posting
- Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
- 2,763 euros gross monthly salary on 13 months.
- Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month).
- Transportation cost (home-work), vaccines and visas covered.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Medecins Du Monde career website on application.careerbuilder1.eu to apply