Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
With the insurgency spilling over from the Northeast of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
Senior Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00037
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travels to Dikwa, Ngala, Gwoza and Bama – Borno State
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population.
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, Gwoza, Damboa and Bama Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking for a strong Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer. This is an existing position created to strengthen the monitoring efforts of Mercy Corps’ programs in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
- The aim of the Senior MEL Officer will assist the humanitarian program in specific activities that help quantify, analyze, and document the impacts and outputs of Mercy Corps Nigeria’s program in Borno state including data collection, data management, data analysis, mapping, development of M&E tools and reporting systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Conduct surveys and assist in monitoring activities that help evaluate programs implementation and success
- Manage program data, including information that is collected by programs; this will include database design and support, developing M&E tools
- Map program activities for use in program planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Coordinate with other organizations as necessary to collect other monitoring data relevant to Mercy Corps programs
- Provide regular reports and summary information to the Managers and Senior Management
- Support, train and advise programs’ staff on monitoring techniques and tools
- Participate in other monitoring and evaluation activities including collaboration in field and program based research
- Coordinate with the team leader to ensure that regular monitoring activities are being performed according to schedule and that data collection is adequately completed.
- Works closely with all program teams to ensure that monitoring is adequate for management and reporting purposes.
- Coordinates and assists on oversight of data collection activities such as periodic surveys and participates in the hiring process of personnel under the MEL component
- Oversee data management including the timeliness and completeness of reporting as well as data entry.
- Supervises all the Database officers at the field level.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: MEL Officers/Database Officers
- Reports Directly To: MEL Manager
- Works Directly With: MEL team, Programs, Finance, Operations and MC Beneficiaries.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in statistics, social sciences, economics, or any relevant discipline is preferred.
- At least a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation or support of development programs
- Quantitative and qualitative skills including knowledge of basic statistics and mathematics
- Practical and theoretical knowledge in program monitoring and data collection methods, including interview techniques
- Good data analysis skills and data analytic tools.
- Working experience in INGOs is of added advantage
- Strong knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel spreadsheet and Word is required and statistical packages Skills in other programs.
- Comfort and ability to talk to and interview project participants while professionally representing Mercy Corps.
- Ability to communicate in English and Hausa
- Proven report writing skills.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps' policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.