Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Nutrition Officer
- Represent AAH and the program within the community
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Know and understand AAH mandate, Humanitarian principals and the current program
- With the Nutrition Sector manager, IYCF and Nutrition Officers develop coherent messages and pass them to the community about AAH mandate, program objectives and approach.
- Build trust between AAH and the community.
- Implement the nutrition CMAM & behavior change activities
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Directly implement the activities defined in the program in close collaboration with the Nutrition and IYCF officers.
- Work closely within community structures to follow up on implementation of CMAM and IYCF –E activities with support from the Nutrition and IYCF officers.
- Create awareness and sensitize the community on CMAM practices, IYCF, malnutrition, and the causes of malnutrition and treatment of malnutrition.
- Participate in screening of children less than five years, referral and follow up of malnourished beneficiaries at community level.
- Implement sensitization activities for targeted communities about CMAM, IYCF with support from MOH, community leaders and other key stakeholders at LGA level.
- Coordinate all activities very closely and in collaboration with MOH and other key stakeholders.
- Ensure timely submission of weekly reports, monthly reports and MUAC screening data & reports to nutrition officers for compilation.
- In collaboration with the nutrition officer, IYCF Officer and Nutrition Sector Manager develop success stories, lessons learnt and case studies.
- Organize and lead the formation of Mother to Mother Support Groups
- for IYCF with the support of IYCF/Nutrition Officer in Emergency context.
Internal & External Relationship
- Nutrition Officer/IYCF Officer: hierarchical relationship – technical support – exchange of information.
- RRM health and Nutrition manager: Technical support.
- Minimum of a Diploma in a Nutrition or Community Based Programming or related field.
- Minimum 1 year work experience in humanitarian contexts (conflict/insecure contexts).
- He/she must have experience in CMAM, IYCF and community mobilization.
Skills & Experience
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to villages, remote locations and stay at the field.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to screening sites.
- Capacity to supervise and coach health workers.
- Ability to work in an environment where there are physical discomforts associated with change in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust or dirt.
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- Excellent team, budget and project management and representation competencies.
- Proficient in statistical and other software (Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in English.
- Commitment to AAH mission, values and policy.
- Proficiency with local languages (Kanuri, Fulani, Hausa).
- Previous NGO experience managing mobilization in different interventions (i.e. cash transfers, wash, Nutrition).
- Previous experience with AAH.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.