Methodist Church Nigeria is looking for qualified candidates for the roles below
Mental Health Project Officer
LOCATION: Borno State, with travel around the North East
TIME/STATUS: Regular, Full-time
DURATION: One-year contract, with a possibility of extension
The Mental Health Project Officer will be the lead clinician in charge of all aspects of mental healthcare services within the project. With a focus on holistic patient care, the Mental Health Project Officer will oversee the delivery of clinical mental health services including but not limited to establishing clinical practice policy and protocols, individual/group supervision, case conferencing, quality assurance and improvement, reviewing treatment plans while setting the pace for a high performance productive department. The Mental Health Project Officer will manage multiple service lines in accordance with the project among other project components, establishing quality measures for agency-wide mental health service providers (including community-based and clinical service sites).
The Mental Health Project Officer will report to the Project Manager. S/he will also receive technical support from CBM International through the Mental Health Technical Advisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide regular reports to the Project Manager in all aspects of mental health treatment services. Organize and present mental health project performance detail as needed and directed by the Project Manager.
- Attend, participate in and report at various internal and external (off-site) meetings and trainings as required. Represent the implementing partner at local and state-level meetings of clinical staff using an interdisciplinary approach to patient/client care.
- Coordinate with other humanitarian actors and participate in activities of sector working groups in the project catchment areas.
- Maintain good relationships with community stakeholders and partners in mental health service delivery as directed.
- Attend trainings, workshops and other relevant professional development events approved by the Project Manager. Make recommendations on quality improvement measures based on current best practices.
- Assist the Project Manager in on-going assessment of health facility staff, including annual performance evaluation, performance improvement, identifying training needs, and creating a yearly training plan to meet those needs.
- Liaise closely with the project team throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of the CBM-BMZ Transitional Aid project.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding privileged administrative and client information in a professional manner.
- Perform all duties and services in full compliance with local and international service excellence standards.
- Provide clinical oversight in the delivery of mental health services across multiple service areas, programs and overall service delivery sites. This includes the development of protocols, guidelines, training materials, policy and procedures applicable to all mental health service staff and programs.
- Ensure compliance in all aspects of providing mental health services either directly or by collaborative efforts with Mental Health Technical Advisor and other relevant quality assurance staff. Provide clinical guidance and support in case management at all levels of treatment and care within the project.
- Stay up-to-date on trends in standards of practice for mental health providers. Provide assistance in (directly and indirectly) training staff in necessary protocols, diagnosis and treatment methods, and clinical intervention strategies for quality mental health service delivery.
- Directly supervise clinical staff across different service platforms to ensure performance measures are met in a manner that respects funding requirements and quality assurance protocols.
- Provide coaching and hands-on supervision as needed with all mental health staff. Work with staff and/or immediate supervisor(s) in cases requiring corrective or disciplinary action and performance improvement planning.
- Assume all quality assurance supervisory responsibility over clinical mental health staff. Directly supervise all Supervisors and other direct service staff as assigned.
- Be available to respond to “on-call” for crisis intervention consultation at clinic-level and the level of self-help groups or other departments where mental health and case management services are delivered.
- Support health facility staff in collation and reporting of mental health statistics in the mental health database. S/he will actively contribute to data management and use for project review and programme development purposes.
- Contribute to documentation and sharing of best practices, lessons learnt and human interest stories with project stakeholders as appropriate.
- Participate in research design and development and monitoring and evaluation activities.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated desire and experience working with ethnically diverse populations.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills and experience with various software programs as required by the position.
- Strong organizational/time management skills; ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and often stressful environment; demonstrated flexibility in regards to job duties and assignments; ability to work effectively and independently, and as part of a team to organize tasks, solve problems, make decisions, while handling multiple priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills demonstrated by the ability to communicate effectively and relate congenially with parents, children, clinic staff and providers, and community referral representatives.
- Proven understanding of standards and practices governing patient/client confidentiality; demonstrated ability to preserve client confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of and willingness to adhere to mandated reporting requirements as stated by law; working knowledge of generally accepted Quality Assurance standards and procedures.
- Position requires moderate physical activity such as sitting, travelling, walking, and computer usage.
Qualification, Education and Experience
- At least a Post-basic qualification in Psychiatric Nursing from a recognized institution.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Medical Social Works, Clinical Psychology or related field is an added advantage.
- At least three years’ prior experience in administration, coordination with supervision of mental health and/or case management/counseling services programs required.
- Prior work experience in a social services or healthcare setting as a direct client services provider is highly preferred.
- The candidate must be registered with the necessary regulatory body and possess a minimum 5 years of professional licensure in the Federal Republic of Nigeria as required.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit one page letter of motivation (using the position reference as subject) clearly providing evidence of competences required for the job, with a CV and salary expectations by 4.00 pm on 2nd December 2018 latest
Include your valid telephone number, e-mail address and current contact address in your application.
Please, note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.