Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Job Type: Full Time
Starting date: As soon as possible
Direct Line Manager: Sector Manager -Social Protection
- Lead all Gender equality and mainstreaming initiatives and strategies funded by ECHO in the mission.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and ensures implementation of Action Against Hunger minimum standards on Gender mainstreaming in humanitarian and in development projects in Nigeria mission
- Leads and conduct Gender analysis, technical studies, assessments on Gender in social protection projects
- Provides technical input on Gender mainstreaming and/or coordinate technical support on gender sensitive programming in WASH, nutrition, social protection sectors with relevant sector specialists if required;
- Ensures that project activities are carried out with cultural sensitivity, promotes gender equality and inclusion of marginalised groups;
- Works with field teams to ensure access and participation of women, men, girls and boys at risk to Action Against Hunger’s response, recovery and rehabilitation work.
- Ensures gender and protection main streaming in all social protection and résilience response projects;
- Conducts Gender leadership trainings for project staff, community leaders and target communities, beneficiaries;
- Takes lead in the development of gender mainstreaming work plans in the implementation of all project activities in the LGA in collaboration and coordination with other sectors; under the supervision and guidance of the Sector Manager Social Protection.
- Leads in integrating gender into MEAL processes in operation areas; setting of specific indicators for process monitoring and follow up that, advising team in getting gender specific information through spot monitoring and Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM) process,
- Initiates innovative documentation process to capture learning and changes, support team to get sex, age and gender disaggregating data.
- Supports local stakeholders in organizing and carrying out advocacy and campaign for greater gender equality and equity in social protection programmes.
- Engages with State and local Women’s rights organizations and mobilize collective voice around gender discrimination in the post conflict setting.
- Proactively represent Action Against Hunger International and participate in Gender and protection working groups.
- Proactively ensures Protection and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) measures and reporting mechanism are in place and raise awareness among teams, project stakeholders and community.
- Support capacity building for Project teams and organizational development for LGA stakeholders.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Conduct capacity assessments and facilitate capacity building for the project teams to enhance their motivation and effective implementation of gender strategies.
- Ensures identification and satisfaction of training needs for the project staff on relevant standards and instruments for gender equality.
- Designs and implements demand-driven programme approaches and methodologies aiming towards capacity building, working in partnerships, policy analysis and advocacy.
- Develops and facilitates capacity building programs on gender sensitivity and gender mainstreaming, as well as gender issues pertaining to gender advocacy.
- Designs and documents training modules and capacity building processes.
- Lead projects monitoring and reporting on gender equality and mainstreaming issues at the LGA level.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Take the initiative to understand the logical framework and review the Gender mainstreaming indicators (LFA) of the ECHO project accordingly.
- Ensure the compilation of need/feasibility assessments and related reports. These reports must be well synthesized, documented and transmitted to the Sector Manager Social protection and the Multi sectoral PM.
- Contribute ideas based on field experiences in informing gender equality and equity and Training manuals as requested.
- Responsible for supervising and quality assurance of all Gender equality and mainstreaming interventions in a given LGA of intervention.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager, leads the design and implementation of transparent and accountable mechanisms for monitoring and evaluating progress for Action Against Hunger Programs in Yobe State.
- Provide guidance to the field teams to develop a comprehensive knowledge base on all aspects of gender by contributing to gender analysis and situational studies, and advise on the gender sensitive data to be gathered and the indicators that will serve as the basis of developing effective gender programme strategies.
- Help monitor the overall gender activities in Damaturu base Programs, gather lessons learned, and build upon strength and improve on weaknesses.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team leads regular monitoring and evaluation as required to ensure quality gender programming and adherence to donor’s deliverables and program management policies.
- Monitor the external contexts and emerging needs regarding gender work to introduce programmatic changes as necessary.
- Contribute to documenting gender mainstreaming experiences, preparing geder specific reports, presentations, briefs and articles for publication
- Leads the development of gender specific progress reports.
- Local representation for Action Against Hunger and coordination with other stakeholders within the intervention area.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Work with Action Against Hunger Project Manager, Sector Managers, M&E Manager, Economic empowerment officer, and social protection officer to advance gender equality and equity issues throughout the project cycle.
- Work with strategic allies in the early recovery and post conflict situation in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of gender equality issues of the project.
- Represent Damaturu base Office in established gender focused foras, networks and conferences.
- Facilitate coordination with other stakeholders on strategic policy and programming issues.
- Establish and strengthens gender focused technical partnerships in Yobe State.
- Develop joint activity plans with technical teams and allies to further gender objectives and gender results of the social protection programme.
- Advice on the development of communication and information programmes to raise gender awareness within base Programme.
Internal & External Relationship
- Multi sectoral PM, Sector PMs, Area Coordinator: hierarchical relationship - technical support - exchange of information
- Other Project officers: Peer support and experience sharing
- Staff involved in Social protection and other thematic issues: Training and Coaching on gender mainstreaming issues.
- LGA Community Development Officer, Social well fare officer: exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options.
- LGA Team/ HF team/CV: Training, supportive supervision, influence of choice on technical options
- Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Gender Studies, or any related field.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant work experience in in design, development and management of gender Equality in social protections programme including a minimum of 1 year in a field coordination role.
Skills & Experience
- Proved experience in displacement and durables solutions contexts
- Well-developed knowledge and understanding of protection principles, gender mainstreaming and women’s rights, in areas of early recovery and resilience building.
- Demonstrated experience of working in collaboration with local partners and government institutions;
- Well-developed analytical and strategic planning skills with the ability to influence the wider programme strategy;
- Demonstrated experience of conducting trainings, and providing capacity building to local partners and beneficiaries on gender issues;
- Able to work under time pressure and long hours whenever required;
- Resilience, flexibility and adaptability to work successfully under stressful conditions;
- A high level of social-cultural sensitivity when dealing with colleagues, partners and beneficiaries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact, in order to be able to liaise effectively; with a range of stakeholders, including NGO partners, community leaders and government officials;
- An ability for creative problem solving and innovation in complex and /or restrictive working environments
- User level computer literacy (Office Package, Outlook, etc.)
- Willingness to travel and reside in rural, remote and insecure areas in Yobe.
- Experience working with Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) and Humanitarian context
- Fluency in Fulani and Kanuri dialect, with excellent written and verbal English language skills;
- Experience in Gender Programming
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and oral présentation skills plus deep sense of collegiality.
- Deep understanding of guiding principles of Gender equality issues in the North east Nigeria and Adult Training strategies.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Action Against Hunger | ACF-International career website on acfinternational.applytojob.com to apply