Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
Food Security and Livelihoods Officers
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC), later adding Primary Health Care and Nutrition activities. This initial intervention was focused on populations living in MMC. The progressive sectorial widening allowed to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in Bolori II in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. In 2018, PUI will further develop its comprehensive response by adding Outreach/Protection and WaSH to the existing country program in Bolori II, and will scale up its intervention with the opening of Kukawa LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. The same donors will support the 2018 intervention. In parallel, PUI is supporting the coordination mechanisms and is running the common logistics platform for all humanitarian actors funded by the logistics cluster (WFP) since 2016, and the partnership has been renewed to this date. PUI is now looking for 4 Food Security and Livelihoods Officers for our team in Maiduguri.
POSITION GENERAL INFORMATION
Based in: Maiduguri, Borno State
Deadline to apply – 21st of November, 2018
Starting date – 1st of December, 2018
Duration of contract: 5 months
Under the direct supervision of the Food Security and livelihood Supervisor, the Food Security Officer is responsible for the daily implementation of the E- voucher and nutrition projects in Maiduguri, Borno State.
RESPONSABILITIES AND TASKS
- Implementation and monitoring of the Food Security activities:
- S/He implement the daily food security and livelihood activities according to the FS program direction
- Respect the planning and set-up of the activities
- S/He takes part in the identification and registration of beneficiaries
- S/He contributes to the identification and registration of suppliers/ vendors on the market and to the monthly market assessment
- S/He actively takes part in the post distribution monitoring activities
- S/He collects any relevant information from the communities and partners
- Participate to all assessments for the projects or for new projects
- S/He supporting beneficiary and vendors during E voucher distribution
- Contribute in analyzing humanitarian situation in the field and very familiar with Do no Harm policy
- S/He must have capacity to determine protection issue in the field and can liaise to his/her supervisor
- Community mobilization
- Ensure that beneficiaries and local populations understand the project goals and agree with the implementation process
- Actively participate to the good collaboration with local leaders
- S/He organizes sensitizations for the beneficiaries or community’s members according to the identified needs
- Report to the FS supervisor on the progress of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, the quality of relations with beneficiaries.
- Submit weekly situational report to line manager in weekly basis
- Collect, enter and analyse the necessary data according to the need of the project
- Extract and pass on statistics to the team supervisor, deputy program manager and/or program manager
- Keep monitoring tools and files archived at the PUI office, ensuring their availability to his/her FS&L supervisor and PM
- Pass on any information or problems to his/her direct and/or indirect supervisor concerning his/her task, PUI programs, or safety aspects
Logistic & administration
- Under the responsibility of the FS supervisor, take part in logistical and administrative organization, planning, and preparation of the projects.
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools used during on-site works
- Manage the supply of materials to the work site in collaboration with logistic department.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIRED SKILLS
- Language skills: Fluent in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages – Kanuri, Hausa are wished
- Education degree: Bachelor Degree in Agriculture, Food Security, Disaster Risk Management, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development, Agricultural Extension, Agribusiness Management, or related fields. Previous experience with NGO is required.
- Work experience: At least 6 months or more experience in a similar position in an INGO’s preferably related to food security, livelihoods or emergency response, recovery and resilience building, and cash transfer program.
- Previous experience in Humanitarian assessment, monitoring and evaluation is an asset.
Knowledge and skills
- Food Security and Livelihoods programming
- Cash Programming
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Baseline surveys & Assessment
- Computer skills
- Proficient user of MS office (world and excel) and data collection tools (kobo, ODK, GPS, GIS)
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Transversals skills
- Excellent knowledge of Borno State, willing to travel locally
- Team spirit
- Strong motivation to help people in needs
- Capacity to mobilize community
- Well organized and rigorous
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvement
- Ability to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.