Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 6,500 staff in over 45 countries, our programs reached 14.9 million people in 2015.
Nutrition and Health Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full Time
About the Program
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. The main objectives of the country program are:
- To continue building on Action Against Hunger’s reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload Northern Nigeria States and build evidence from out pilot projects to influence policy makers to find long lasting solutions to under nutrition and hunger,
- To respond to the dire humanitarian situation created by the devastating conflict on-going in the North East while applying, where possible, attempts to find durable solutions in line with the New ways of Working and Humanitarian Development Nexus.
With a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the on-going conflict. We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 international) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA & FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by
- Supporting the implementation of health and nutrition activities.
- You will support the health system mechanisms in Borno and Yobe states. This position is based in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Provide high quality project management, technical advice and leadership in HSS:
- Lead collaboration across the project technical teams to identify, analyse, formulate, and implement activities to strengthen key systems (leadership, logistics, and information systems) that support delivery of high quality health and nutrition services.
- Provide technical guidance to the health and nutrition team for Supply Chain Management, identifying evidence-based approaches that are contextually appropriate to reform the overall ACF Health Commodity Supply System.
- In collaboration with the Regional nutrition and Health Coordination team identify short and long-term technical assistance required for the successful implementation of the planned nutrition and Health activities.
- Coordinate with other partners and support efforts to address health system strengthening gaps and help build technical capacity within the ACF health and nutrition team as well as the SMOH/SPHCDA in the supported Local Government Authorities (LGAs).
Manage and Organize Nutrition and Health project staff development programs in collaboration with other technical and operations department:
- Provide technical support including leadership, monitoring, motivation and management of the health and Nutrition technical team.
- Conduct regular evaluation of the skills levels and technical competences of the ACF health and nutrition teams in performing their assigned duties.
- Support the Training and sector Managers in identifying and harmonizing training needs as well as ensuring the quality and pertinence of training programs established for the ACF teams.
- Manage the project cycle in nutrition and health.
- Ensure that the health and nutrition teams meet the objectives of ACF in supporting the targeted areas in both nutrition and health response.
- Ensure that the services provided by the health and Nutrition team are adequate and meet the basic needs of the affected communities.
To develop strategies and support direct operations:
- In collaboration with the Regional Nutrition and Coordination, support the development of strategies addressing the problems linked to poor health and malnutrition in the North east region.
- Coordinate and support the smooth implementation of planned nutrition and health activities.
- Ensure that the nutrition and health sections of the project implementation reports include critical analysis and technical sounds.
- Contribute through coordinating with the project team in the development of the nutrition and health sections for future proposals when required.
To appropriately represent ACF and develop local partnerships:
- Disseminate the information collected to the key partners when required.
- Ensure that positive collaboration and he quality of relations with partners in regard to OFDA Grant is maintained throughout.
To produce timely and quality reports:
- Support and provide technical back stopping to the M&E and program teams during the completion of the monthly reports, specifically those linked to nutrition and health in the project areas.
- Ensure that reports on any training session and/or workshop organized by the Health and Nutrition and the current Grant is documented and disseminated widely as per the ACF procedures.
- Ensure that all technical reports for external release are validated by relevant line Managers including the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordinators, Nutrition and Health HOD, DCD program, Technical Advisor.
- Contribute to the donors reports: interim and final reports as required.
Does this description fit you?
- Master's Degree in the Health Sciences, Epidemiology or Public Health Nutrition, or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health & Nutrition with extensive experience or field related/relevant to international H&N work.
- At least 3 years of proven experience in Managing Health and Nutrition projects, research and surveys as well as humanitarian work.
- Experience in donor reporting e.g. ECHO, EU, UN Agencies, OFDA/USAID is preferred.
- Strong understanding of Health Management information System, Health Surveillance, monitoring and evaluation methods is preferred.
- Knowledge of Health assessment and KAP methodologies will be of added value.
- Experience in nutrition program management in emergency set-up including proposal writing, project budget management, reporting and training provision.
- Excellent Reporting and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good management and representation competencies.
- Excellent in influencing and negotiation skills.
- Proven technical knowledge and capacity to lead implementation of H&N activities, projects, programs.
- Good understanding of links between emergency and development programs.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently.
- Easily acculturate with remote areas living conditions.
Our Core Values:
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity-we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
- Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- All applicants must upload a Cover Letter and an updated Resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
- This advert may close before the due date once we receive applications from qualified candidates.
- We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.