Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Admin and Logistics Officer, Operations
Location: Jos, Plateau
- Search for Common Ground seeks an Admin and Logistics officer to provide administrative and logistics support, liaising closely with the Admin and Logistics team in the other offices and the finance team to ensure good recordkeeping, as well as liaising with the housekeeping staff to support the smooth running of the office.
- The Admin and Logistics Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Project manager and will be functionally managed by the Admin and Procurement manager based in Abuja.
- The position holder will supervise the Driver, Cleaner and Office Assistant.
- The position is full time, based in Jos with frequent visits to the field.
About the Project
- The overall objective of the Farmers/Herders project ‘Transforming the Farmer-Herder Conflicts and Promoting Freedom of Religions and Belief in Nigeria’s Middle Belt’ is to contribute to preventing violence and the destruction of lives and properties resulting from protracted violent conflicts between farmers and herders while combating impunity and promoting the freedom of religions and belief in the Middle Belt region of Nigeria.
- The overall goal is supported by three specific objectives which will guide the project’s activities:
- Objective 1: To increase collaboration between farmer and herder communities to develop joint, effective, sustainable local mechanisms for early warning response, dispute management, and violence prevention and mitigation at the community levels.
- Objective 2: To strengthen implementation of rule of laws and accountability measures by the government of focal states and relevant federal government institutions to respond to and prevent violence resulting from farmer-herder conflicts at the state levels.
- Objective 3: To enhance public understanding of the farmer-herder conflicts by promoting conflict sensitive contents and, countering hate speech, stereotypes, biases and negative narratives that fuel violence and countering violent rhetoric.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Liaise with the landlord of the office premises and other operational contacts such as vendors, suppliers and courier services to keep the office fully functional
- Coordinate package delivery and pick up
- Ensure that SFCG’s inventory list is updated on regular intervals
- Develop and oversee safety protocols, including the management of the security company
- Ensure that the door security system and key management is functioning properly
- Manage the telephone/intercom/internet system
- Provide logistical support for meetings and conferences on-site and off-site
- Respond to general emails and forward to the appropriate members of staff
- Provide orientation for new staff, visitors or consultants on the use of the general office equipment and other office systems
- Maintain office equipment and oversee repairs
- Manage the office fleet and approve any private vehicle hire
- Oversee vehicle repairs
- Maintain office logs on travel, inventory and fuel usage for generator, vehicles etc.
- Prepare travel arrangements, relevant documentation (tickets, visas etc.) and any necessary travel materials (Meeting confirmations, background or reference confirmations)
- Prepare and submit a monthly logistics report about the above to the Admin and Logistics Coordinator.
- Coordinate procurement process of goods and services, ensure necessary documentation
- Maintain and update vendor’s database for necessary goods and services
- Monitor quality and control cost on various office supplies, stationery, hotel accommodation, transportation and other equipment
- Provide support to HR where needed
- Any other function required to undertake broadly in line with above functions.
- Keep colleagues appraised of developments in own area as appropriate
- Contribute to staff meetings, and other internal meetings with appropriate content , views
- and suggestions
- Fulfill requirements of internal staff management processes including performance reviews, supervisory meetings, etc.
- Develop strong relationships with all SFCG colleagues and partners to enhance their understanding of admin/logistics and build their knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Procurement, Logistics, Management, Human Resource or a related field;
- 1-2 years´ professional experience carrying out administrative, logistical and/or operational tasks
- Experience working in an NGO or civil society is a plus
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts
- Excellent in English (oral and written)
- Ability to plan, organize work, communicate and reports effectively (both in writing and verbally)
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; team player and effective communicator,
- Strong IT skills (Email, Microsoft Office applications, Google Drive, Google Docs, Sheets, Presentation).
- Demonstrated passion for human rights issues
- Good reporting capacity and experience
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, and deadlines.
- Good knowledge of the local languages will be an asset.
- Resident of Jos/Plateau
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Interested candidates will send the following:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please note that the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- As the above job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.