Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Operations Support Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
About the Program
- Action Against Hunger has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. The main objectives of the country program are:
- To continue building on Action Against Hunger’s reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload Northern Nigeria States and build evidence from out pilot projects to influence policy makers to find long lasting solutions to under nutrition and hunger,
- To respond to the dire humanitarian situation created by the devastating conflict on-going in the North East while applying, where possible, attempts to find durable solutions in line with the New ways of Working and Humanitarian Development Nexus.
- With a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the on-going conflict. We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 international) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA & FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
You'll Contribute to Ending World Hunger By:
- providing leadership and management of all the Support Services functions and systems at regional level , to ensure quality support to programme implementation is maintained in line with Action Against Hunger Nigeria Country Strategy, internal policies, best practice and donor guidelines. This position is based in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Overall coordination of the support function inter-departmental work plans, in order to provide operational support to project implementation:
- The Operations Support Coordinator is responsible for:
- Supporting the development and implementation of the field support aspects of the Country strategic plan.
- Supporting the development and implementation of the Support Department regional strategic plan (Finance, Logistics, Admin and HR)
- Monitoring on going progress of the project plan, and reporting on a quarterly basis
- Ensuring inter and intra departmental coordination between support, and program implementation teams for the development of planning and management tools such as the mission funding plan, HR forecasting, supply plan and equipment forecasts among others.
- Conducting regular analysis of field structure costs, to ensure synergy with overall mission structure and strategy, in order to ensure quality proposal development.
- Coordination and development of the support aspects of proposal writing and budget building (forecast of specific logistics needs, support HR needs) in line with donor regulations and ACF internal procedures.
- Supporting project managers in the ongoing development of basic management tools i.e. project procurement and supply plan, detailed Implementation Plan and risk management plan.
- Anticipation of complex procurement, importation, finance or HR requirements.
- Maintaining effective and timely implementation of support needed for each project.
- Alerting the Field Coordination team to any unforeseen challenges and proposing mitigation/corrective measures to be implemented.
- Identifying the constraints and opportunities within HR, logistics, admin and finance in relation to any potential humanitarian response, and briefing the Field Coordinator and departmental / project managers accordingly.
Overall Management of support functions:
- The Operations Support Coordinator is responsible for:
- Line managing Finance, HR and logistics Field Managers: Assigning objectives, performing regular coordination meetings with the finance, HR and logistics managers to ensure sound management of individuals and synergy of objectives/vision among the team.
- Ensuring that ACF financial, logistics and HR Guidelines are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure organizational compliance with donor policies and guidelines, in addition to country specific (Nigerian) regulations.
- Coordination with finance and logistics managers to ensure synergy between cash flow and procurement planning to meet operational need.
- Ensuring that a robust system of controls is in place and maintained.
- Facilitating meetings with support department and project managers on a regular basis to ensure coordination of all cross‐over issues.
- Facilitating effective communications between Field Coordinators, and field level support managers to ensure support department performance remains optimal.
- Developing where needed, clear guidelines, ways of working and tools to ensure a more effective support to program development and implementation.
- Promoting respect of the ACF Charter, and working to prevent all forms of abuse of power or position.
- Coordination between field logistic, finance and HR departments to ensure all procedures related to purchasing, reporting, archiving and tax liability are strictly adhered to.
- Ensuring that payroll, taxes, insurance and other deductible contributions are accounted, paid, and reconciled properly.
- Responsibility for assisting and responding external audit teams.
Effective reporting and sharing of information:
- Effective reporting and sharing of information from meetings or training with relevant personnel
- To be the regional focal point for quality reporting both internally and externally (donors, local authorities).
- Provide feedback to support department managers on monthly reports, and follow up on recommendations.
- Provide relevant input to the mission monthly sitrep
Does this Description Fit You?
- You have an advanced University degree (Masters) preferably in Economics and/or Political/Humanitarian/Development Studies or equivalent
- You have a minimum of 3 years of humanitarian experience in country level senior management/coordination role, in complex emergency / insecure contexts.
- You are highly organized & pay attention to small details. You are passionate about finding creative solutions & innovative approaches to long-standing & critical problems.
- You intuitively adapt how you communicate technical analysis, mission strategy, as well as donor policies & procedures, to suit different audiences - both verbally & in writing.
- You are able to consolidate & polish contributions from a large team to ensure reports are comprehensive & coherent.
- You identify & support less experienced technical managers to improve their reporting skills.
- You are calm under pressure, diplomatic & able to easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- You model to your direct reports how to adapt your communication style to suit colleagues from other cultures & professions.
- You are able to adjust your own style to represent Action Against Hunger appropriately with a range of national counterparts.
- You are goal-oriented while also being genuinely committed to helping others succeed.
- Familiar with a range of donor reporting. - Particularly USAID/DFID.
Our Core Values
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies:
- Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
- Integrity-we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
- Creativity - we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
- Excellence - we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
- Empowerment - we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
- Child allowance.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.